Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Rackers And Thumb Rest On A Ltd. Gun

Crusher

There was a discussion about the use of slide rackers and thumb rests (weak hand) on limited guns, and if they are allowed on a Ltd/Ltd 10 guns. I did not find any rule that prohibits their use on guns other than a production gun so my take on this is they would be allowed.

Now you ask why the slide racker..... well from those table/box starts to NOT allow the gun to rest on it's mag release. The tumb rest was just an after thought as to an additional feature

cc. found the "thumb rest" as dis-allowed :

18. External modifications such as weights, or devices to control or reduce

recoil are specifically not allowed, such as but not limited to, thumb rest,

extended slide stops, etc.

[January 2004 Edition Rule Book • 95]

can find nothing on the rackers in the "book". Thanks ;)

Johnny Corbett is using a slide racker in Limited, has been the last few years here in the TX area... Area matches, Nats, etc.... everyone always questions it, but no one can ever show him in the rules where it's illegal. :P

Thumb rests ARE illegal in Lim / Lim-10 though......

A while back a shooter from Europe posted photos of his racker-in-front-of-the-Bomar setup that he shoots in IPSC. He said it was legal in Standard and not hard to find someone shooting with a racker in Standard.

Thumb rests for your weak hand, including slide stops with a wide shelf, are NOT legal per the rules quoted above - except in Open division.

Guest Gunslinger45

We have a shooter here in Florida by the name of Jason Chemielewski who uses a slide racker on his Limited STI and he just shot the Fl.State match with it. I believe that he asked Amidon and was told it was O.K.. Jason is missing his left hand and has to rack his gun with the end of his left arm.

Slide Rackers are legal for Limited/L10 and the thumb rest and grossly oversized slide stops that resemble a thumb rest are not.

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/home.html

The above link (if I did it right) lists a post where someone received an email from Amidon stating that slide rackers were legal for Limited/L10.

cc. found the "thumb rest" as dis-allowed :

18. External modifications such as weights, or devices to control or reduce

recoil are specifically not allowed, such as but not limited to, thumb rest,

extended slide stops, etc.

[January 2004 Edition Rule Book • 95]

can find nothing on the rackers in the "book". Thanks

The rule specifically states that thumb rest are not allowed, but extended slide stops, (I know the wording argument could go on and on for this), Ref. Brownells Cat. 56 p. 84 - 85, I don't think they meant the extended slide stops from Kings, Wilson Combat and Masen, I think they meant the posi-grip slide stop from AW Custom. Explanation: the firsrt 3 are commonly used and never discussed, the last resembles a thumb rest.

That is the way I interpret the rule

THC

I read the post by Vince Pinto (linked above) & I realize I stand corrected as to:

thumb shields (not thumb rests).

A thumb shield goes between the strong hand thumb and the slide to prevent contact with the slide. It has no effect on recoil management, but it might enhance reliability for poeple who have trouble riding the slide.

If you follow the link to Vince's post, you will read that the "external modification" language has been dropped. So both thumb shields AND the Swenson "really hard to fit" shield safeties are both OK in Limited. Regards,

D.C. Johnson