Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So I got my Apex barrel in

optimator

Everything went pretty smooth, although it was a little nerve racking.. I do think the pad may need a little more taken off though. I have to put more pressure to slide it all the way into battery than I think is recommended. If I slingshot the slide it goes in just fine though. I was able to shoot it last night. My range has a fixed backstop, so everyone shoots at the same distance. If someone is already there and at the 15 yard line, (like last night) that's where you shoot from. The gun functioned perfectly. No failures at all. At 15 yards it now pretty much puts everything into one ragged hole. When the other shooters left I hurried back to 20 yards before anyone else showed up. On the first shot my fiber optic launched from my front sight :angry2: Without a front sight or a rest, just resting on the bench, I was able to put 5 shots in a 3-4" circle. That is pretty much a victory compared to the stock barrel. One question, how much have you guys taken off the pad? Or since it works should i just shoot the shit out of it and see if it wears in a bit more?

If it's running and shooting well, I would let it finish settling in with shooting.

Qualifier - I'm DANG sure not a gunsmith though.

Neither am I! The main concern I have is not getting a round chambered in a match. The way it is now, if I ride the slide at all while chambering a round, it wont go into battery. And I can't hardly slam it in by hitting the back of the slide. So if it happens I have to drop the mag, cycle the round out, reinsert the mag & rack the slide again. But if I do it right, it functions perfectly.

I have had the fiber break in a couple of matches.

It doesn't matter. You still line up the top of the front sight.

I hope that you're not lining up the top of the fiber instead of the top of the sight.

I have had the fiber break in a couple of matches.

It doesn't matter. You still line up the top of the front sight.

I hope that you're not lining up the top of the fiber instead of the top of the sight.

No, I line up the top of the sight. It was more of a pisser than anything.

Edited by optimator

Mine was that tight after I was done fitting. Closed with a push of a thumb if slow racked. I have 500 rounds through it and it's broken in to where I can't get it to hang open any more. Still shoots amazing with the right ammo. It's funny that now I KNOW it's the ammo, not the gun.

Mine was that tight after I was done fitting. Closed with a push of a thumb if slow racked. I have 500 rounds through it and it's broken in to where I can't get it to hang open any more. Still shoots amazing with the right ammo. It's funny that now I KNOW it's the ammo, not the gun.

have a KKM in my 9mm longslide, Its TiN coated and has never hung up, dont know if the coating helps at all. but its a shooter, definitley a major upgrade over stock MP barrels

have a KKM in my 9mm longslide, Its TiN coated and has never hung up, dont know if the coating helps at all. but its a shooter, definitley a major upgrade over stock MP barrels

The KKM barrels are a drop in replacement. The Apex barrels need to be fitted to the slide.