Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Comp, barrel and slide weight

js1130146

I'might new to tje open game and have an older STI Competitor in 38 super that I'm considering changing over to 9 major. It's an unmolested gov't slide (12.5-13 oz), a bull barrel and an A-zone comp. I was thinking I could reuse the comp on the new barrel. But is the A-zone comp and bull barrel too much weight in conjuction with a full weight slide? Or should I consider changing to another comp along with the barrel?

If it runs now you should be able to find a powder that will let you load to a similar PF in 9 Major.

That said, I would personally get as much weight as you reasonably can out of the slide and consider moving to a lighter, more modern and efficient comp like the titanium LSI compensator. Some of the newer comps will produce great results at a lower power factor, which isn't a bad idea with 9 Major.

It's pretty solid as is with a healthy dose of 3n38 under a 125 hp. I'm just tired of hunting super brass. I've been reading good things about the binary engineering compensator and I'm leaning that way. Would slide lightening be more beneficial than a lighter comp? Or is it all preference at that point?

I have a competitor in 38 super as well. I cut 1.5 oz out of my slide and fit a Scheumann 1 in 32 chambered in 9mm for 115 grain bullets moving @1500fps. Had 2 rounds touching at 50 yards and one 2 inches high which was user error. The comp on the 9mm is lighter so the gun swings better and it doesn't dip as easily which is preferable. I load 8.6 grains HS6 behind a precision delta 115 gr hp I added a PT grip to mine which is 10.4 oz so it soaks up recoil very well. More weight in the right places helps, like in the frame and grip, and then less weight in the slide and end of the barrel so it swings better and less felt recoil.

Edited by MrPostman

853d7418298a9f5a35add9f6c0aaf318.jpg

Both barrels in the pic are 9mm. The spare one is a trubor blank that I custom cut the comp but because the 1 in 16 twist rate is too quick for the load i am using it is now my steel barrel for minor loads.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Edited by MrPostman

Hello, my thoughts on my last two builds was to go back to a full size five inch slide with a 5.4 bull barrel. Because of the barrel weight I chose a titanium comp ( Cheely) however the B.E? your considering looks very promising, but do use a TI type because you don't need a real heavy muzzle feel. My setup is four popple holes using a 5/32 hole size, however it's chambered in 38 SC. As for slide lightening I chose a tri- top cut, 3 oval shaped side cuts, scalloped rear/ top along with slide racker dovetail and of course the cutout for the barrel ports. You probably can overdue lightening cuts as per some steel guns, but I don't think you need to be over zealous about it. It can be very subjective on the feel of open type guns and I've used the very shorty's ( commander length ) which aren't good for major, to mid size ( AKA, Infinity IMM size ) and now back to full size. I'm an older guy and the full size is now best for my needs and my set- up shoots very nice and I'm happy with it, however I won't use the soft and flat bull shit phrase. If I were younger I'd probably use a set up similar to Infinity's IMM open design, they a hard to beat. Good luck.

Anyone have any thoughts on bull vs standard profile barrels? Is there such a thing as taking too much weight out of the top end?

Well the cone style comp which used in conjunction with a standard profile barrel may be a tad lighter than the bull barrel setup but other than that basically they are the same.

As far as the top end weight goes I wouldn't get too crazy with removing weight. Generally a ounce or 2 at most is what i like, it does change the recoil characteristics in a good way by helping to increase slide speed, so you can shoot the gun faster which is the name of the game in open. Go too light and you may not like the feel of the gun, and the slide will probably not last as long because of all the meat cut out of it.

A cone comp/std barrel is lighter than a bull barrel. The barrel and comp are part of the reciprocating mass under recoil Weight there contributes to felt recoil and muzzle flip. So anything you can do to lighten the barrel/cone comp is beneficial, as is lightening the slide.

If I were doing this, I'd use a Schuemann AET threaded standard barrel with a conversion cone and a Ti comp. Then I would machine 2oz from the slide using inexpensive milling cuts. There are lots of ways to do that. Lowering the area where the rear sight would go is one. Tri-topping is another. Slotting the recoil spring plug tunnel and slotting the top of the slide where poppels would go if you had them are others. You could recut the serrations in a Brazos bullet style, etc., etc.

Edited by zzt