Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help on new gun purchase

Debob

ok , here is my dilemma. I am trying to decide between building a G35 to run in limited, you know weight it down and such, or buy a Armscor Ultra match .40 and put bare bones parts in it to get by...I can get the G35 on blue label and would be in it cheaper but the draw of the 2011 is kinda strong.

tell me what y'all think.

A blue label G35 is like 515 bucks, and comes with three mags. Buy some sights (80-120), buy some mag extensions (90-120), buy a magwell (~100) trigger parts (highly variable, 20- a lot), probably one more magazine. Ends up costing ~850 bucks or so. The RIA is like what, 875 last I saw? And you need to get magazines. I think the RIA is probably the better gun, but it would cost more.

Also, how big are your hands? Para framed double stacks are very large and square feeling in your hand.

Just saw that you are going to be trying to get the gun heavier if you got a G35. I think that if you are going to go to all the effort and money to get the Glock really heavy then it is probably better to get the RIA. If you are going to try to weigh it down then it is going to raise your cost significantly, limit your holster selection, and you will in the end still be shooting a Glock.

If your just shooting for fun, and working with a limited budget, the Glock is a great platform. You can run limited, or take your magwell off and download some 40 minor ammo to run production. You can cross over to IDPA with it if your into that. Your gonna put money into sights, and trigger stuff (all you really need is a reduced power striker spring)

The thing is, if your a competitive person, and you really get into it, your going to end up buying a 2011 anyway. Actually you'll end up buying two. And spending a ton of money on reloading stuff, and ammo components, and traveling to big matches. And you'll love every minute of it. My advice, save the money, buy an STI edge new or used, and start playing. Don't try to cheap out, it just ends up costing money later.

If you just wanna have fun, and don't plan on becoming obsessed, spending countless hours dry firing in front of the TV and watching videos of yourself to see how you can run more efficiently, then stay with the Glock. The great thing about a Glock is, they work, and you don't have to do much to them. Throw a set of dawson sights on it, drop a reduced power striker and plunger spring in it, a mag well, and your in the game. Magazines are plentiful and cheap, easy to get along with division legal base pads. And you don't have to worry about stuff like extractors loosing tension, and learning how to tune it yourself, and all the wonderful stuff that comes along with running 1911 base platforms.

Well problem is I have highly completive, this isn't my first run at it. having said that last 1911 style I shot was in early 90's. then about 2 years ago I got back in for a short time and due to work related issues I stopped, so all my experience is from single stacks and .45 .

I have been on the fence on what platform and which division to run in. I have zero time on a 2011 but could only think its just a slight difference from 1911.

Lee I have looked at the STI's and other high end 2011's but I am afraid that if I dump $$$ into a gun something will happen and ill be out of shooting again, my luck. I have done some research and talked with a good friend, Frank Proctor, who has ran RIA's like " a rented mule" as he puts it and they ran great for the $.

I think ill go the RIA 2011 route, I mean dang I just need another thing for my wife to gripe about hahahaha.

Well problem is I have highly completive, this isn't my first run at it. having said that last 1911 style I shot was in early 90's. then about 2 years ago I got back in for a short time and due to work related issues I stopped, so all my experience is from single stacks and .45 .

I have been on the fence on what platform and which division to run in. I have zero time on a 2011 but could only think its just a slight difference from 1911.

Lee I have looked at the STI's and other high end 2011's but I am afraid that if I dump $$$ into a gun something will happen and ill be out of shooting again, my luck. I have done some research and talked with a good friend, Frank Proctor, who has ran RIA's like " a rented mule" as he puts it and they ran great for the $.

I think ill go the RIA 2011 route, I mean dang I just need another thing for my wife to gripe about hahahaha.

To be clear, anew RIA/Para framed gun isn't the same as a 2011. They sometimes will work with 2011 magazines, but they are still fundamentally different because they use a single piece frame with seaparate grip panels like a 1911.

Because of this the grip is significantly larger in circumference and less modifiable to make it smaller. I don't know how big your hands are, but for someone like me that is a big deal.

If your hands are big enough to work with one though, I think that's definitely the better choice vs the glock.

Yeah I was just meaning the Hi-Cap side of the house on the 2011 comment.

. I have played with a Para P18-9 and it felt good in my hands. I have med sized hands but always get a better feeling out of large frame, well Glocks to be exact, pistols.

Lolz, I'm glad we were able to help you justify buying what ya wanted :) Your gonna love it!

Save your money for a STI 2011 and be done with it.STI doea make some that are IDPA legal aswell. Best of both worlds.

I'm sure I'll upgrade one day. I don't mind having extra guns lol. But ask my wife now that's a different story hahahaha