Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting Consistent Powder Throws

Getting to know my recently inherited 650

Installed a uniquetec micrometer head on one of my dillon powder measures

( the installation went better [easier] than I anticipated )

Trying to calibrate it.

My plan was to average the weight thrown over 5 charges for each calibration point of the micrometer in increments of 5,10,15,&25

Then build a graph.

I attempted to throw 5 loads into the same single case ( ~ 2 grains @ ofClays in a .38 Spl case) with the micrometer set to # 25 on the scale.

BY:

1. Pulling the lever down once > throwing the first charge

2. raising the handle just enough to clear the funnel but not increment the shellplate

3. Pulling the lever down again > throwing another charge into the same case

4. Repeat till 5 charges were in the case

5. Weight the 5 charges and average by dividing by 5

Going through the above proceedure a number of times (to do a sanity check on my results)......I found that:

My results were all over the place.

Totally inconsistent results.

Much head scratching later, I started throwing a single charge into a case alowing the case to index to the next position, and weighing the individual throw.

Results were MUCH more Consistent.

I took me a while to figure it out, but my fantasy is that the Dillon Powder measure ( At least throwing CLAYS (just plain CLAYS)

REQUIRES

That "BANG" of the lever against the stops.... both in the full "down" and "up" extremes of the lever manipulation

To CONSISTENTLY fill the cavity of the Powder measure charge Bar and then

drop it into the case.

Does that sound right to the group ???

Sounds about right. When I'm just filling a single case [a ratty old one with no case lube] to check the charge weight, I thump the side of the measure a little bit to simulate the press running all 4 stations.

Of course, that didn't prevent me from being dumb & not opening my chrono book to remember which load is which, after a 15-month layoff. 25-yard plates are really hard to hit when you've got the wrong charge weight in your ammo. Oops.

I use Clays for both Pistol & Shotgun. Like everyone else I tap the sides of the measure when i fill it to settle the powder. I usually insert the cases at Station 2 then remove the pin and take them out at Station 4. This checks the Powder Check Die in the process if you have one. I also use the Low Powder Sensor, not that you need it when your only throwing 2-3 grains, but the weight of the plate on the powder seems to make it a little more consistent.

More on the Uniquetek Micrometer Powder Measure knob.

As I said previously, the installation went easier than anticipated.

The calibration was pretty routine.

I calibrated for CLAYS which is my favorite powder.

Threw 7 charges @ for micrometer settings of 0, 25, 50, 75, 100, 125, etc.

Threw out the highest and the lowest and then averaged the remaining 5.

Drew a graph which turned out to be very close to a straight line

once I got above the zero area (that was encouraging).

Found that I could pretty much return to the same charges by dialing back in

(always careful to approach it from the same side (higher or lower).

Made one mistake.

Tried to dial back down with the powder bar in the "drop powder from cylinder to the charge bar cavity' posistion ( = Press handle UP position).

After I started to feel considerable resistance, I realized that I was compressing powder in the charge bar cavity.

Not something I wanted to do.

The micrometer head started acting funny - the micrometer head was spinning without moving/traveling along the scale - I worried I had "broken" something (or maybe broke one of the "locktite" bondings involved in the assembly of the miocrohead to the charge bar). Then I noticed the screw securing the microhead cylinder to the shave was "loose".

Apparently this was caused by my trying to compress the powder with the screw.

Maybe this is a "safety feature to prevent damage"?

( UniqueTek - please comment on this ) should there be something in the instructions about this ??

Tightening the screw seemed to fix everything, and my calibration was still good.

All in all I have a good feeling about this UniqueTek Microhead.

I have reason to believe that it may make my Dillon measure behave as well as my previous RCBS ( with a factory Microscrew Attachment )

It was versatile and dependably repeatable.

So far so Good.

My only criticism is that the dial markings are a bit faint.

• 2 weeks later...

I found my power throws tended to get inconsistent when the powder measure was at its fullest and then again as it became low. When loading match ammo, I stick masking tape strips 1 inch from the top and another 1 inch from the bottom of my powder measures. I only fill to the top tape and refill when the powder level reaches the bottom tape.