Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ultra Sonic Cleaning

I used an ultra sonic cleaner the other day and boy does it work. Just wondering if anybody else uses them and if there is any cons in using one. Also what works good on carbon build-up. One last thing a gunsmith  told me he uses sintheti(sp) motor oil for lube, any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

Jon,

What did you like about the cleaner? I friend that has a shop is talking about buying one and setting up a mobile cleaner to take to various matches. He was asking my thoughts on the idea. But as I have no experiences with it I'll pick your brain. Did it work on build up in the comp? What was the price for a cleaning? Any other info you think would help would be greatly appreciated!  

Thanks in advance,

Chriss

I've used the Ultra Sonic cleaner several times.  I love to take my mags apart and throw them in for a cleaning.  On my race gun I 'll take the top end apart and toss it in.  I don't usually throw the frame in (STI)...I generally just blown it out with gunscrubber or the like.  Something about plastic in the ultra Sonic they I believe they say you should avoid.  I may be wrong since all of our rental glocks get cleaned in it.  We charge $18.50 per gun.

Paul,

I think you may be right about the plastic and the ultrasonic not going together.  But, good grief, don't call the polymer framed Glocks plastic.  They would have a field day on the "Glock Talk" forum with that.

Chriss,

I cant answer the part about the comp. I dont have one. But it has cleaned my guns so well that I found shiny places that I didnt know were shiny. (That was from the blueing wearing off). The one I use you first put the gun in the solvent turn on the heat and timer. I then wash off uder hot water then blow off with the compressor. Then put the parts in lube and turn on the heat and timer. You still have to do some scrubing on the breach face but thats it. Thirty mins and you done. It gets in to spot that I can not get clean. The cost was nothing. A friend of mine runs a school that has one. I would tell your friend that get the biggest one he can afford. It will make cleaning alot faster.

Quote: from PaulW on 1:18 pm on May 25, 2001

Kyle,

Lets not kid ourself, polymer is a type of plastic.  There is a great article on this in this months American Handgunner.

Paul,

I read that article.  At least I started to.  I don't know if I would call it great (IMO).  I thought it was supposed to be about a Kimber.  The article took three pages to get to the gun.

Sorry about the rant.  You just happen to post about the article after I had just given up on it.  

Anyway...there are many palstic pieces and parts for guns that won't hold up to harsh solvents.  The Glock polymer frames (and I am sure the polymer frames from other manufactureres) hold up quite well.  Battle tested, time proven.

I still think you are right Paul.  I recall reading somewhere that a person might not want to put some plastics into the ultra-sonic cleaners.  I can't quote a source though.

An ultra-sonic cleaner would save time, but am I the only one who actually enjoys cleaning their gun by hand???

It gives me time to think about my shooting performance and how I generally shot that day.

I have had good luck with MPro7 products...