Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry fire reps?

IronArcher

Asking for personal opinions on training advice for dry fire.

Option 1) run drill on manual timer. Reholster/reset (pick up mags) and repeat at your leisure .

Option 2) run drills on a par timer app that automatically runs multiple reps (basically no time to rest between drills)

Example, I have par timer app set up for 5-7 sets of 10 reps.

I'll end up doing 50 drills back to back to back with barely enough time to pick up mags and get ready.

With a manual timer, it would be much more leisurely, but I would probably not get as tired.

Thoughts?

I think Option #1 will yield better results, if by "at your leisure" you mean giving yourself time to reset, take a breath, and focus on the skill you're working on before performing the next rep.

Option #2 sounds like a recipe for going through the motions without giving yourself much time to analyze/refine/learn the skill.

I've started using Steve Anderson's "new" recommendation of using two timers and really like it. Basically you work a skill for a set amount of time at a set par time, i.e. "I am going to do reloads for 20 minutes at a 0.9 par time." So you set a count down timer at 20 minutes, and bang out reps using the par timer until the alarm goes off. I focus on the skill better because I'm not concerned with counting reps and I think get overall better reps because I'm not just cranking them out trying to hit a certain number.

I think Option #1 will yield better results, if by "at your leisure" you mean giving yourself time to reset, take a breath, and focus on the skill you're working on before performing the next rep.
Option #2 sounds like a recipe for going through the motions without giving yourself much time to analyze/refine/learn the skill.
I've started using Steve Anderson's "new" recommendation of using two timers and really like it. Basically you work a skill for a set amount of time at a set par time, i.e. "I am going to do reloads for 20 minutes at a 0.9 par time." So you set a count down timer at 20 minutes, and bang out reps using the par timer until the alarm goes off. I focus on the skill better because I'm not concerned with counting reps and I think get overall better reps because I'm not just cranking them out trying to hit a certain number.

This is what I do as well, I use the timer on my phone and usually run 3 minutes a drill unless it is movement related then I run 5-10 minutes just to make sure I'm gassed by the end of it. When I do stuff with the metronome, I swap it around, Use my watch timer to count the time and the phone as a metronome. It usually takes me 45 minutes to do 30-33 minutes of drills with this approach, depending on how much I have to move targets around for the next drill and how much rest my grip needs before moving on.

Edited by tha1000

Set the auto timer and then just skip every other. Gives you the ease of the auto timer but you aren't rushed and just going through the motions or ingraining bad habits. Do 1 rep, visualize a rep on the next one while you get ready then do a rep on the 3rd, visualize the 4th, do one on the 5th, etc.

Set the auto timer and then just skip every other. Gives you the ease of the auto timer but you aren't rushed and just going through the motions or ingraining bad habits. Do 1 rep, visualize a rep on the next one while you get ready then do a rep on the 3rd, visualize the 4th, do one on the 5th, etc.

I have been doing this on some of the more involved drills (especially if I need to pick up several mags off the floor)

Asking for personal opinions on training advice for dry fire.

Option 1) run drill on manual timer. Reholster/reset (pick up mags) and repeat at your leisure .

Option 2) run drills on a par timer app that automatically runs multiple reps (basically no time to rest between drills)

Example, I have par timer app set up for 5-7 sets of 10 reps.

I'll end up doing 50 drills back to back to back with barely enough time to pick up mags and get ready.

With a manual timer, it would be much more leisurely, but I would probably not get as tired.

Thoughts?

I wouldn't do anything that would cause you to rush the START of the drill.

What are you trying to achieve in dry fire? Are you trying to learn the mechanics of a new technique? Are you trying to drive down the par time for an existing technique?

Edited by FTDMFR

Drive down par time for existing technique.

I try not to add a timer until I have a good idea what I'm supposed to be doing.

The par timer I use lets you know when your getting close to the start beep, so you have a warning. If I'm not ready, I skip a run.

I guess the real question is: is being more rested imprint ant to improving your practice?

With auto run on by the end of a 20 minute practice I'm pooped!

With it off, I'm not tired, but of course I don't get in as many reps.

Is being tired "bad"?

Edited by IronArcher

Is being tired "bad"?

I personally think a little added stress to the CNS can be a good thing for developing skill, especially if there is any chance you will have to execute the skill while fatigued. The hard part is making yourself use proper mechanics / line of action when you are tired.

I'm a fan of training skills under as many different conditions as possible. Tired, cold, sweaty, exhausted, hungry, fresh, etc. You are likely to notice something different when you change the conditions it is performed under.