Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using scratched brass?

ihocky2

I started resizing some 7mm Rem Mag brass last night and was about 20 pieces in when I noticed the cases are badly scratched all the way around. Not sure what happened but the inside of my sizing die shows the same scratches, so at least I know it is coming from the die. These scratches are deep enough you feel them if you drag a finger nail across them, would you still use this brass or replace it?

For a high-pressure round like that, maybe I'm just a wimp, but that brass would go in the recycle jug immediately. Also, time for a new sizing die, but that's just me. I've had a .308 Remington 7400 rifle "blow up" on me due to a reloading error, and that's a lot lighter round than you're dealing with here.

Just my 2 cents, FWIW.

Alan~^~

Use the appropriate size shotgun cleaning mop and some J&B Bore paste, automotive rubbing compound etc. to polish the inside of the die using a drill.

Polish the cases with some 0000 steel wool and then check the cases again. Normally scratches caused by dirt and grit in the die will not harm the case.

When I started cleaning my semi-auto cases by wet tumbling with stainless steel media scratched dies became a thing of the past.

Thanks for the information guys. I am going to scrap these pieces to be safe. I have a new die showing up in a couple days. Still not sure what happened but there are definite scratches in the die that seem deeper than caused by dirt.

• 1 month later...