Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help me decide

The 1050 is considered a commercial press, so 1 year warranty.

I own a 1050 and (knock on wood) haven't needed any warranty work but it's been frequently discussed by those recreational users that HAVE needed warranty outside of their first year that Dillon took care of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 1050 has only the 1 year warranty as its aimed at commercial reloaders or very high volume competitors. So dillon chooses not to extend its usual lifetime warranty to the 1050.

It's one consideration for guys who load fairly high volume but don't need swaging. For those guys a 650 with mr bullet feeder is often the prefered choice. Both presses are very reliable and easily capable of 1,000 an hour even without automation. The 1050 is a more seriously built machine and 2 key benefits are priming on the ram upstroke and swaging capability.

Edited by BeerBaron

Don't all their presses come with the same warranty..? If you are shooting 1000 rounds a day, seems like a 1050 would probably be good. Or a 650 with a bullet feeder.

As seadog pointed out, the 1050 has a one year warranty from the date of purchase.

I have a 650 I keep in small primer mode and load 223 on currently. Eventually it will get a 9mm conversion.

I keep the Square Deal in large primer and load 45 ACP on it.

I've owned every press that Dillon currently makes and the the 1050 is the nicest of them but I have come to like the 650.

Now I'm undecided the 1050 looks sweet especially since I may have a deal on a 9 mm.this week the son wants to load 2000 9,I need load 500 .223 and work a lot of .40 load development rounds.Just got rso for our local range so I'm gonna have to spend time there which will cut into reloading time.The wife has Ben shooting .22 for steel but next match she wants to use her 9 mm.Im thinking now I might get a 1050 for 9mm and the .223.Is it possible to run small rifle primers for both 9 and .223 my thinking is no primer change just shell plate and tool head.

Yes you can run small rifle primers for 9mm and 223 but no primer parts need changing to switch between small rifle and small pistol. Everything is the same. There are only 2 primer systems. Small and large. Small covers small pistol, small rifle and magnum and match versions of those. Large covers large pistol, large rifle and their magnum or match versions.

To load 9 and 223 on the 1050 you need to change:

The case feed plate from sm pistol to sm rifle

The case feed parts from 9 to 223

The toolhead with all your dies (if you're trimming 223 on the press you need 2 toolheads just for 223)

The shell plate from 9 to 223 and the locator buttons.

The primer setup stays as is.