Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

witness open gun

chuckpetree

Wondering what everyone thinks is needed for a eaa witness open gun for modifications? With the catch that I would also like to use it for uspsa and Bianchi, ppc. Also any good witness gunsmith around Northern Illinois without spending a fortune.

Your in the wrong class it u are looking for any thing cheap about an open gun lol. I have a friend who had a v12 in 9 right out of the box added a mount and a dot ran great only isue was mags real hard to get a 170mm mag. O and the v12 is LOUD will shake fillings loose. have fun!

:cheers: Depends on what you call a fortune, I guess. I've had a witness open gun before, 9x21. One thing I have learned over time though is not everyone who is good is outrageous on prices for their work. Last open gun I had a local gunsmith performed the work reasonably; and I would put it against anyones work at the time.

If you can get Rich at Canyon Custom Guns to build you one of his Open uppers that would be the way I would go. No v12 and a really good Compensator design, that way if you have a Limited or Hunter you can just change uppers and stick a mount on it since the frames for those guns are already drilled and tapped for one. I owned a v12 in 38 super and sold it for an STI if that tells you anything. I got a used STi Competitor in 38 super with a complete rig for $1699 on GB. Lots of good used guns out there and STI has much better 170mm mags to choose from.

I like to build custom Open guns from Limited pistols:

_20151107_092416_zps0uvx3wkv.jpg

Eric Grauffel stocks the factory three port comp and EAA has surprising lowered their prices on the 6" straight barrel so you just thread it M15x0.75 (dies available on EBay from China), cut to length, screw on the comp, drill ports to preference, and reduce weight as desired.