Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Adjusting A 1911 Trigger

sps

hi guys,

today at the range i noticed that sometimes the hammer didnt go all the way down to the firing pin and to my amazament on onother ocasion the gun started shooting automatic!

the thing with the hamer already happened in the past and i was told that if i'll push the middle spring leaf (the disconnector) a bit forwrd it will fix the problem. is it? and what about the automatic fire? do i need to push the left (sear) spring farward as well? what should i do????

urgent help is needed!

I would highly recommend a *gunsmith*, at this point. It's quite possible that you have an improper hammer/sear geometry, etc. The hammer not going all the way down is the sear catching the hammer's half-cock notch. This is a safety feature that's designed to prevent the gun from going off accidentally.

There are several other things that might be wrong - best to let a gunsmith sort them out, since this could get dangerous (unexpected full-auto is not fun or safe.... ;) )

i thought that the reason that the hammer does not fall all the way is because the sear spring (the left leaf) presses to hard on the sear and therefore does not allow it to release the trigger all the way. therefore i believed that the solution would be to bend it (the left leaf) a little bit backwords.

am i wrong?

am i wrong?

Yes. Too much sear spring just makes the trigger pull heavier. Too little causes the sear to not be pushed into engagement with the hammer (and therefore the hammer follows). Remember that you're moving the sear directly with the trigger-bow/disconnector/sear relationship, and you're pushing against that sear leaf on the sear spring.

You could have too little overtravel on the trigger (therefore, sear isn't moved far enough out of the way to clear the half-cock notch, but still clears the sear) - which might result in a drop to half-cock when you pull the trigger. You could have bad hammer/sear engagement, which will cause the sear to not engage the hammer properly sometimes or all the time causing drops to half-cock and, when the half-cock notch doesn't catch the sear, full-auto behavior.

I doubt the first option because of the full-auto behavior. If it's overtravel, you'd hit half-cock on pulling the trigger, but the gun would otherwise function properly - the disconnector would work properly and the hammer would reset properly to full cock.

Please don't try to fix this yourself - someone could easily get hurt. Gunsmith money is well spent money in this case!

I don't think I'm wrong on this - but someone please correct me if so :)