Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Severe creep in SA on a Limited Pro

Gdub

So I set up my knew Limited Pro yesterday. I installed EGD light hammer and firing pin springs, CGW light TRS, CZ light sear spring, Henning 18# plunger spring, and did all the usual polishing. I left the one piece sear and the original hammer in the gun. DA is 6 lbs. 4 oz. and SA is 2 lbs 8 oz.. Plus the safety feels great and the firing pin block works great with no tinkering. Pretty respectable, not as good as the Stock 2's I've set up but it might come in a little. My problem is in SA it has a huge amount of creep. I took another factory hammer and put it in and it was identical. So I stoned the SA hammer notches in a fixture to keep the same angle. I made a little head way on the creep but when the sear comes off the SA notches it catches the disco or something and then eventually ends up on the safety notch. Speaking of the disco I left the factory disco in and did not fit a T3 disco yet. It needs fitted so badly when in the gun it won't go to DA or SA.

I tried a Titan hammer from another gun and it feels the same only my safeties and the FPB don't work so I took it back out.

Any suggestions?

The worst thing you could have done was stone the hammer. Put the t3 in. Of course it won't reset, it's a full fit disco. Fit the disco and your pre travel will disappear.

The worst thing you could have done was stone the hammer. Put the t3 in. Of course it won't reset, it's a full fit disco. Fit the disco and your pre travel will disappear.

I understand what the T3 does to pre travel. The severe creep is happening after you take up the pre travel. I didn't think the type of disco had anything to do with SA trigger pull. With the hammer fully cocked you can watch how far the hammer notches have to move off the sear.

Creep is one thing none of my tanfos have. With the EG xtreme sears and titan hammers, they just snap. Interested in learning what is going wrong with yours.

Have you swapped sear assemblies around to see if the problem moves with it?

Creep is one thing none of my tanfos have. With the EG xtreme sears and titan hammers, they just snap. Interested in learning what is going wrong with yours.

Have you swapped sear assemblies around to see if the problem moves with it?

I think the Xtreme sear is the answer here. I have a Stock 2 Xtreme and a Stock 1. Both have similar springs and the Stock 1 is polished. They actually both have a similar measured trigger pull. But the Xtreme has a total surprise break- you apply pressure and then with no perceptible movement - snap. The Stock 1 you feel the sear sliding and t even feels like - are we there yet?

I can only attribute the difference to the geometry of the Xtreme sear and hammer. An expert might be able to modify the stock 1 sear/hammer but I won't mess with that. If I get annoyed enough, I guess. Can buy the Xtreme parts and swap them out.

^ the xtreme sear is really cheap. Install the cz sear spring from cgw at the same time. Problem solved. Then again, I feel life's to short to suffer with a crappy trigger!

You should take the sear cage apart and polish the moving part interfaces and inspect for any machining discontinuities. There may be a flaw causing "severe" creep because all mine were pretty nice before the xtreme sear, none were as you describe.

Good luck with it.

^ the xtreme sear is really cheap. Install the cz sear spring from cgw at the same time. Problem solved. Then again, I feel life's to short to suffer with a crappy trigger!

You should take the sear cage apart and polish the moving part interfaces and inspect for any machining discontinuities. There may be a flaw causing "severe" creep because all mine were pretty nice before the xtreme sear, none were as you describe.

Good luck with it.

Myself and Taco just tested the two sears, and the EG sear ADDS trigger weight. So basically, the stock sear runs better in the non-extreame guns. You can see your reflection in my EG sear, everything, including the pin is polished.

Tacos stock sear, with a T3, has a night and day trigger pull than when installed with the EG Extreame sear.

20160328_230758_zps7m4k3z6l.jpg

Edited by TJART

Interesting.

I swapped in just the Xsear (polished factory housing) with the titan hammer, X light/light springs, etc and the CRISPNESS of the trigger was great. No creep, just that nice wall, then ... snap. The trigger action feel transformation was really wonderful.

But I couldn't get the pull weight down from 7# few oz DA 3 # SA until messing with nipping coils from various springs. And 15 thousands of dry fire! Now its just over 6 da just under 2 sa.

From memory (and I'm old, so...) the x sear angle that interfaces the hammer hooks, looked like a sharper angle than the factory edge. Is that where the difference comes from? I've avoided touching that part as the sear is reportedly only surface hard and easy to burn through to soft metal thst wears quickly.