Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

800X at 124/125?

ArrDave

Looking at burn rate charts, does anyone use this powder as a "go to"? With the new Lee Auto Drum it looks like metering it wouldn't be too big of an issue, which I suspect is probably what has limited it's use in 9mm previously as I bet it wants to bridge in most powder measures.

The reason I ask is it's really close to WSF on the burn rate chart, it's ALWAYS available locally, the usable range on hodgdon's website starts at 1012 FPS on a 125 LCN and finishes up .5 gr higher at 1050ish FPS.

I would guess the metering issue holds a lot of folks back rom trying it. That said I use an auto drum also and bet it would do a good job. Why don't you try a jug and let us know. :)

I tried 800x for some minor loads didn't have good luck with it. I don't recall the recommended loads off the top of my head so use these numbers for information only.

4.5g with Bayou 124 Avg velocity of 947 (117 PF) std dev 34.7 and ES of 93

4.5g with Blue Bullets 125 Avg velocity of 946 (118 PF) std dev 25.2 and ES of 94

I was shooting these loads through M&P Pro's.

800X is notorious for metering poorly. It has the consistency and flows through the powder measure like corn flakes. It is a great powder for high end 10mm loads and for its burn rate I am not sure if it will be good for 9mm? Certainly won't be able to load anything of quantity like you would want to do with 9mm because of the metering problems.

I use it for my high end 10mm loads but I load them using my RCBS chargemaster to meter the loads.

If you were close enough I would give you all I have. I hate it.

Out of curiosity, why?

Sent from an iDevice. Please forgive any grammatical or spelling errors. If the post doesn't make sense or is not amusing then it is technology's fault and most certainly not operator error.

If you were close enough I would give you all I have. I hate it.

Out of curiosity, why?

Sent from an iDevice. Please forgive any grammatical or spelling errors. If the post doesn't make sense or is not amusing then it is technology's fault and most certainly not operator error.

I think it is because he has had such a bad experience with it he would just give it away. AND, if I was closer I would take him up on it. :D

800X was made to be used as a shotshell powder (heavy 20 gauge I think?) and when loading shotshells exact powder measurements are not as import ant as they are when loading metallic cartridges. So the cornflake like nature of 800X is not a problem when loading shotshells as a variation of a few 10ths is no big deal.

• 2 weeks later...

You may want to try 700X. It meters way better than 800X and works pretty decently for low velocity range/plinking cast loads. It's just about the only powder that I can find easily locally so I've been using it for almost all of my 38 and 9mm loads. Seems to meter +/- .2 in my 550. I'd rather be using a ball powder, but beggers can be choosers I suppose.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Edited by jschweg