Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gugu Ribas, Racer or Ghost

DagoRed

Hey guys,

I had some CR Speed mag pouches I tried for my Xdm 40, I had to make my own shim and wasn't super happy with the fit. So I'd like to go ahead and try something else. I have read the Ghost 360 will work and also read somewhere the Gugu Ribas which I did find somebody had in stock. And maybe the DAA racers would work. (I have single stack racers for my single stack setup).

I have a double question, anybody use any of these and how well do they fit the xdm 40 mags? And does anybody also have an SP-01 and know if they would work with those mags also. I'm considering getting an sp01 for steel challenge and to maybe let my sister in law try production. I wouldn't mind getting the more expensive giga ribas one for instance if I could use it for both.

Thanks guys.

Red

Red, with those mag puches I got from you, I used the lock washers from the ones I already had, put them behind the STI shims, and tightened the retention screws down all the way, and tada. Those suckers ain't goin nowhere. I know you're out those mag pouches now, but I thought I'd let you know what I did to make them work. And work they do. Quite well.:cheers:

That's great! I used them w some shims I made from plastic ruler my kid had in the desk. I couldn't get them very close together on my belt though, maybe too used to my racers. Or maybe try the cr speed singles.

Hopefully more guys will share what's working for them. For limited I don't need to carry a lot of holsters but if I use the same pouches for CO or production is want to carry 5. (Shot a stage a couple weeks ago where you had five arrays that were six shots each, so 5 mags is handy sometimes. And I never go w less than 5 for SS :) )

I took the pouches from the doubles I got from you and slapped them on my single hangers. With the right cant, they all touch each other. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor, kind sir. If and when you find some that work perfectly without too much modification, please let me know!

Well the cr speed are about the same cost as racers. I like my racers pretty good I guess I could do that again. I just thought I could justify spending for nicer ones if they'd work for two guns Then again I'd have to switch holsters anyways.

Almost no information on the guga Rivas. I guess at the cost though it is almost as much as the race master and just plastic.

I'm broke till next month anyways, plenty of time to decide

Red

DAA mag pouches are the way to go, and for your application the racers are ideal. I have four belts three of which are DAA and one is CR. The CRs are decent pouches, but feel like they were designed for 2011 mags but can work with other makes. The metal DAA pouches are more adjustable than the plastic, but require locktite to keep them were you want them. It is also significantly easier to replace the shims on the DAAs than the CRs, which is helpful if you shoot multiple guns on the same rig. I have not used ghost or guba ribas, so I have nothing to add besides checking out someone's rig that is setup with those pouches. The gubas have a significant amount of offset from the belt (not sure if this is something that can be adjusted), but that may factor into your decision.

• 2 months later...

I have recently returned to Pistol Shooting and bought a DAA Race Master holster. It is amazing though only holding on the trigger guard is a little unnerving at first. Also got the DAA Racer Pouch and the DAA Racer Pouch with Magnet. In the USPSA type matches I can see the advantage of having the magnet to pickup a staged mag (course requirement) and put it on the belt for a later reload, vs reloading at that point. Learning the tricks of the new game. My rig is the 5.25 in 9mm. The extra shims that come with it fit the 9 mags fine.