Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BE-86

Erttactics

I've been wanting to try it for quite a while, now, but cannot find any locally. I keep hearing good things about the powder, but it's scarcer than free love, in my parts.

Loading data depends on the configuration of the 180 gr. projectile you want to use. Alliant lists a max load of 6.3 gr. for a JHP (not a Speer GDHP, tho) to 7.0 gr. for a 180 gr. Speer "CPFN". All cartridge overall lengths were 1.12", and velocities range from just over 1000 f/s (JHP) to approaching 1100 f/s (CPFN).

I like BE-86. Seems pretty versatile. Recoil is sharper compared to faster powders with same bullets, but a accuracy was decent.

Here are a couple of loads that worked for me:

5.8gr BE-86 with a 180 FMJ makes 172PF 5" bbl at 1.150"

5.3gr BE-86 with a Bayou 180 went 170PF 5" bbl at 1.150"

BE-86 makes excellent clone loads (of self-defense loads) in 9x19 and .38 Super, but hasn't given a good gamer .40 load for us.

Referring to .38, my very old Commander with a slow barrel (DPX 125s only go 1280fps) will put out SnS 125 RNs close to 1300fps with a full charge of BE-86 (6.6gr, if memory serves).

Edited by Cherryriver

I have used it. By the time I made it to major, the recoil was a little excessive for USPSA. I do use it to replicate my carry ammo for practice in my carry gun.

I also had the same outcome out of an STI Executive.