Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

inconsistent OAL with The Blue Bullets on my new Square Deal B

andyroth

Mine has never failed to deprime but I suppose it is possible.

Glad you haven't had the problem yet, but it is much more than possible -

happens quite a bit. Have to keep an eye out for it. :surprise:

I check my primers when I reload my mags - make sure the primer is there,

not too tall, and definitely not already dimpled (fired). :cheers:

Maybe I'm lucky. I haven't kept records and don't load and shoot quite as much as some do. But a pretty good number of rounds have come out of my SDB.

The primer problems that I've encountered have been failures to feed new primers when switching to another caliber. There was a time when I was making do with one primer slide for 3 calibers, and needed to adjust everything when switching. Also, the case needs to be pretty accurately in place at the priming station. At some stage, I decided that it is better to leave the tab off the pin that holds the case in the shell plate.

My pins didn't come with tabs. Is this something you made yourself? Got pix?

My pins didn't come with tabs. Is this something you made yourself? Got pix?

Just small molded pieces of blue plastic. There's a hole for the locator button to go through, in the thin part - and a little something in the other end, so that you can grip it and lift the pin out easily.

On the Dillon site, 1050 conversions seem to have them in the small parts bag.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/rl1050-super1050-misc-conversion-parts_8_51_25632.html

... but using those tabs leaves the case slight room to move - too much at the priming station of my OLD SDB. Maybe that is why you didn't get them. The SDB video doesn't show them either: https://www.dillonprecision.com/dillon-square-deal-b_8_1_25237.html

I have seen them on the 1050's. I tried making my own for the SDB. Even a relatively thin guitar pick (.51 mm) was too thick. Right now, I've got 4 layers of aluminum foil with a couple folds on the end away from the tab to hold them together. It looks okay, but I haven't tried loading any rounds with it like that yet.