Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ipsc Major .45 Load For Newbie - Help :)

riorizzo

Hi All, Wondering if some of the more experienced ipsc shooters can point me toward a good 45acp load for my 5" 1911 Lim 10 gun. I've been using some old plated 200 gr round nose with some old 231 and AA#5 powder i had laying around. I'm looking to change to jacketed bullets likely Zero or Montana gold and I'm open to others experience on whether to use 185 or 200 jhp or jfp ... Also a number of people are suggesting International Clays or Titegroup though VV has also been mentioned. In a nutshell I just need a good load to start with till I understand what the tradeoffs are and can ask more intelligent questions about what my personal likes end up being. Any help would be appreciated. Feel free to email directly @ riorizzo@optonline.net.

Thanks!

Thanks, any idea why many are suggesting I go with a lighter bullet? Seems to be lots of advice (from the guys at the range who shoot LIM 10 45) saying 185 or 200 JHP.

Tons of info on this....

230gr.FMJ

3.8 CLAYS (  Straight Clays,  not Universal Clays )

Clean burning,  makes major,  feels soft.

Funny you should mention that. I was using 200gr plated RN from West coast over several different powders but I could never get consistent accuracy or speed. Now that I've read some stuff I see that their are a zillion variables having nothing to do with the bullets or powder :-)

200gr plated RN

5.1gr Titegroup

1.260" nominal OAL

8000+ and counting in my 1911...

Thanks, any idea why many are suggesting I go with a lighter bullet?  Seems to be lots of advice (from the guys at the range who shoot LIM 10 45) saying 185 or 200 JHP.
Tons of info on this....

230gr.FMJ

HERE'S what Rob Leatham has to say about light-fast vs heavy-slow.

BTW, I need 4 grains Clays to make major in my gun.

Ed

• 4 weeks later...
I get 172 pf with 3.7-3.8 of Clays with a 230 cast bullet. It takes 4 grains to get to 170 pf with a fmj.

Ron,

I am also running 230 lrn over a charge of Clays. i am shooting pins indoors (no pf requirement), so came down to the min load (3.5 grains) and it seems like my accuracy just went to he^^. POI shifted about 3 to 4 inches high at 25 yards. Did you ever notice this problem with Clays, or is it just me? You ever shoot in Aurora? I live in Denver metro and belonged to AGC for about 6 years. Thanks.

Husker (in colorado)

I get 172 pf with 3.7-3.8 of Clays with a 230 cast bullet. It takes 4 grains to get to 170 pf with a fmj.

Ron,

I am also running 230 lrn over a charge of Clays. i am shooting pins indoors (no pf requirement), so came down to the min load (3.5 grains) and it seems like my accuracy just went to he^^. POI shifted about 3 to 4 inches high at 25 yards. Did you ever notice this problem with Clays, or is it just me? You ever shoot in Aurora? I live in Denver metro and belonged to AGC for about 6 years. Thanks.

Husker (in colorado)

You might be pushing the bullet slow enough that the muzzle begins to rise (from recoil) before the bullet leaves the barrel. This is a well known consequence of pushing big bullets slow.

Did the group size open up, or just the POI change. If group size didn't change, I'd guess it was the issue above. If group size changed, I'd guess it was a problem with the Clays not getting hot enough / under enough pressure to burn the same every time.

Thanks, any idea why many are suggesting I go with a lighter bullet?  Seems to be lots of advice (from the guys at the range who shoot LIM 10 45) saying 185 or 200 JHP.
Tons of info on this....

230gr.FMJ

HERE'S what Rob Leatham has to say about light-fast vs heavy-slow.

BTW, I need 4 grains Clays to make major in my gun.

Ed

185s and 200s have been the gamer bullets for a long time. I use 200gn coated (Masterblasters) over 4.3gn of clays. Soft but just a little snap to cycle the gun fully. I use SWCs (I like big holes). Makes 170pf

I think the JHP stuff started with the 40 guys loading long. Since the bullet is hollowed out, it had to be a little longer. The extra length helps with gun function and allows you to safely put in more powder to make major. I'm not a 40 shooter - did I get this right?

BTW:

I experimented with this heavy bullet stuff way out there. I found some big honkers (300gn made for 45 colt) and tried them. Worked great, but I could SEE the bullet and found it to be very distracting. Thing was going about 550fps. Scared everybody watching - ROs don't like it at all. It also moved my POI up by 2" at 10yds

I went back to more conventional bullets as a compromise - the big ones were cast so they had a lube ring (smoke), distracted me, gave others the creeps, and it is unsafe on steel (tends to bounce back). I think you need to stay above 650 fps or bullets stay together and come back.