Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Choice For Production Gun - Bianchi

38stupid

I just entered my first Bianchi Cup this year! I was planning to shoot my old

para 38 super comp gun in the modified open class. Unfortunately, the gun

had a major malfunction and I don't think I can have it running by the Cup.

What is the BEST choice for the production class. I was looking at the

Springfield full size 9mm. I need to make a quick decision. (Sorry, this

is my first post ever)

38stupid, :D

Springfield 9's are OK. Some shoot well, others are dogs..just like anything. With any 1911 in 9, mags usually are the issue. If it works and shoots decent..you're good.

Kimber puts out a decent 1911 in either 9 or 38 Super. I had a Stainless Target in 38 Super that was OK, but not great. The trigger was mediocre. Couple IDPA guys like their Kimber 9's.

I've had really good luck with a S&W 952 in 9. It really shoots.

Depending on your $ limits, a Rock River Unlimited PPC 9 should be about all you'll need. They really shoot (Chuck says he is getting sub .75" groups at 50 with his fast twist 9 bbl) but are pricey and limited availability.

I've also been playing with a Rock River Limted Match in 38 Super. Excellent trigger and shoots 1.25" @ 50 from a ransom rest. Nice gun!! but had to wait a long time for it. I think he has a couple ready to go now though.

It depends on what you want.

Welcome and good luck at the 'Cup.

38stupid,  :D

Depending on your $ limits, a Rock River Unlimited PPC 9 should be about all you'll need.  They really shoot (Chuck says he is getting sub .75" groups at 50 with his fast twist 9 bbl) but are pricey and limited availability.

I've also been playing with a Rock River Limted Match in 38 Super.  Excellent trigger and shoots 1.25" @ 50 from a ransom rest.  Nice gun!! but had to wait a long time for it.  I think he has a couple ready to go now though.

It depends on what you want.

Welcome and good luck at the 'Cup.

Thanks for the info.... Is there any magazine company that seems to be best in

the 9mm relm? I did not know that the mags can be an issue with the 9mm.

Would the Rock River unlimited be a production gun or metalic sight division gun?

Same question with the Rock River Limited Match.?

Thanks for the info....

Bob

I had never seen the new Springfield 9mm mags until 2 weeks ago. They added a little detent in the from and did something else to the rear I think. Rhino has about 20 of them and swear they are the only mag that works 100% in his Springfield 9mm. I have a Kimber in .38 Super and it really shoots well. I wont be at the Cup this year, but that is what I will be shooting at the local matches this season. If you can/are willing to spend the money a Rock River is IMO the way too go.

Thanks for the info.... Is there any magazine company that seems to be best in the 9mm relm? I did not know that the mags can be an issue with the 9mm.

Metalform makes 9mm mags with the Springfield front ramp. Their mags are good and cheap enough if you buy them in quantity. I've got about 2 dozen in 38 Super and all but one work fine. The other required some tweaking.

Would the Rock River unlimited be a production gun or metalic sight division gun? Same question with the Rock River Limited Match.?

The Rock River guns are met sight. But they are a "catalog" production item available to the general public. You may want to contact Rudy about them.

The "custom shop" phrase a a bit ambiguous too. Techically, S&W Perf Center guns are "custom shop" guns but they are a regular catalog item available to the gereal public. It's best to get clarification from Rudy.

Maybe ActionPistolero can add his wisdom about this. He is on the AP Board.

Why not shoot Met Sight? Then you can shoot whatever you want with open sights.

38stupid,

If you want to shoot production I would stay away from any gun produced by a custom shop of any manufacturer.

If you want a Kimber just make sure it comes with an ambi thumb safety. You won't be able to add it. A friend of mine has a Kimber nine and has had some problems with it. Mostly with the extractor.

Production is a sub category of Metallic. You would have to place third or higher to get anything out of production. They pay cash to 20th place in Metallic.

We are getting to close to the Cup to worry about getting a gun right out of the box to work like you want it. I would find a custom shop that has some guns on the shelf and get one of those and shoot Metallic. For me the extra $25 in the entry fee would be worth it.

See ya there,

Kevin

38Stupid,

The Rock River Unlimited PPC would be the best way to go but time would be a factor. Call them and see if they have any ready for delivervy. (I doubt it but won't hurt to ask) Other than that you choises are a Kimber or Springfield.

I agree whith Kevin just shoot Metallic Sight instead of production. Thay way you can have a match barrel fit to it.

Mag... I have both Metal Form and MecGar mags. Both work well But I had Alex Hamilto test my new gun with the MecGars and he really liked them. He said they worked better than his MF mags. But they are not predrilled for base pads.

Dirty Steve, Out.

38stupid go for a STI in 38super with full length dust cover with bull barrel standard mecgar mags, reliable as clock work, and accurate as hell. i get sub inch at fifty and naver lets me down.

maui1911 :)