Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock 2 Front Sight Height Consensus

emjei

2 hours ago, emjei said:

I can send you pics of mine ....I much prefer the .090 because the .100 covers almost the entire poppers at distances

Ps.....I might have a Dawson. 150Tall by .090 for sale in a few days since Im going shorter

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Yes, please!  I'd really appreciate a picture of the .090 in the rear notch.  I practiced mini poppers at 40 yards a few weeks ago, and the front sight on my CZ was covering the popper.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, emjei said:

I can send you pics of mine ....I much prefer the .090 because the .100 covers almost the entire poppers at distances

Ps.....I might have a Dawson. 150Tall by .090 for sale in a few days since Im going shorter

I recently switched to 150 x 90 also and I still need to have the rear sight up about 20 clicks. I may need to pay the extra fee for dawson to make one in 140 x 90.

38 minutes ago, Ck867 said:

I recently switched to 150 x 90 also and I still need to have the rear sight up about 20 clicks. I may need to pay the extra fee for dawson to make one in 140 x 90.

Maybe if we got a group purchase together for 140x90 they'd make them at standard price?  I'd be in for 2 of them.

2 hours ago, JP221 said:

Yes, please!  I'd really appreciate a picture of the .090 in the rear notch.

Be aware that a picture is a crappy representation unless the camera is eye-distance away from an extended handgun, then the photographer CROPS the image (or zooms in the camera) to get a closeup of the sight picture.

Most people put the camera a foot behind the slide for such a picture, and the rear notch looks artificially wide as a result.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

18 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I'd buy a .140 by .090 too.

I'm currently running a .140 by .100 and love the height of the front blade.

You seem to have a really good handle on this stuff, Memphis.  Good point about the camera to eye distance in pictures.

I'm worried about the front sight being too wide for distant targets, especially covering mini poppers.  My front sight on my CZ Custom Shadow is too wide, but I probably need to measure it when I get home.

If you'd buy a .140 by .090, why not just get the width you want and adjust the sight as needed since it's .150 tall?  I don't see why the gap in the rear sight matters as long as it's zeroed?

Sorry for being a gear noob, I've never researched sights this much.

46 minutes ago, JP221 said:

You seem to have a really good handle on this stuff, Memphis.  Good point about the camera to eye distance in pictures.

I'm worried about the front sight being too wide for distant targets, especially covering mini poppers.  My front sight on my CZ Custom Shadow is too wide, but I probably need to measure it when I get home.

If you'd buy a .140 by .090, why not just get the width you want and adjust the sight as needed since it's .150 tall?  I don't see why the gap in the rear sight matters as long as it's zeroed?

Sorry for being a gear noob, I've never researched sights this much.

I'm being a picky on just wanting my rear sight being all the way down. I went from 160x90 to 150x90 and the rear still isn't all the way down. 140x90 might be my solution. Everyone has a different aim so not one size fits all.

14 hours ago, Tanfastic said:

I'll contact Dawson and see if they'll make some.

I actually did email Dawson and this was their response yesterday.

It will be $49.00  and take 4 weeks. Please call us to order with a sales rep, thanks.

Just now, Ck867 said:

I actually did email Dawson and this was their response yesterday.

It will be $49.00  and take 4 weeks. Please call us to order with a sales rep, thanks.

Yup, they just sent me back the same thing:  

"We can modify any of our sights for a additional $10.00 fee to the retail cost on our website.
This process can take 3-4 weeks to make. Please call us and speak with a sales rep to order."

I sent back this: "Question: How many would we have to buy to get you to make this a standard size offering for that gun, since it seems like many of the competition shooters would prefer that size since it allows us to run the rear sight lower?"  We'll see....

3 minutes ago, Tanfastic said:

Yup, they just sent me back the same thing:  

"We can modify any of our sights for a additional $10.00 fee to the retail cost on our website.
This process can take 3-4 weeks to make. Please call us and speak with a sales rep to order."

I sent back this: "Question: How many would we have to buy to get you to make this a standard size offering for that gun, since it seems like many of the competition shooters would prefer that size since it allows us to run the rear sight lower?"  We'll see....

From what I understand, as long as one person pays the extra $10, Dawson will list the new available size for purchase to everyone. 

Ok, I ordered 3 of them, 3-4 weeks.  They said there's a chance they can't do it due to the set screw dimension inside, if it doesn't work they're going to let me know.
Keep us updated please

3 hours ago, Tanfastic said:

Ok, I ordered 3 of them, 3-4 weeks.  They said there's a chance they can't do it due to the set screw dimension inside, if it doesn't work they're going to let me know.

Thank you for doing the research on that!

one of those is for me, right? :)

Edited by JP221

22 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Never mind, you need two. I guess I will wait.

Only 1 had the $10 extra charge on it, so everyone else gets them for standard price now (after they're available, if they are indeed able to make them...).

I guess they alter the base too ? (To make it .140)

They already make the .090 in .160 and 150 .....Why the screw will be an issue at .140 ? Hum

50 minutes ago, emjei said:

I guess they alter the base too ? (To make it .140)

They already make the .090 in .160 and 150 .....Why the screw will be an issue at .140 ? Hum

Dude at Dawson (sales guy, not engineer) said the thread channel for the set screw has to be a minimum size in order to be strong enough to secure the sight, and as the sight gets shorter and thinner the amount of material around the channel is smaller, and at some point it doesn't leave enough material for sufficient strength.  He was basing that upon the fact that they offer the .090 in all of the other heights, but not .140, so he was surmising that at the time they rolled out the .090 that the engineer may have determined it wasn't feasible so they didn't offer it.  That was just speculation of course, and he was going to have it verified as my order gets processed, and if it won't work they'll call me.

^^^ keep us posted ....Thanks

Ps... I just tried an Xtreme 5.5mm Tall by 2.5mm Wide (.155T by .100W) and it didnt work for me..........It is for sale