Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best option for an optic frame-mount for Sig P226?

Rudukai13

As the next step regarding my question on a double-duty defense/competition pistol, I think I've settled on basing the build on a Sig P226 SAO Legion. It ticks all the boxes for a defense-oriented pistol that can be built with certain competition-inspired components. But it does raise one specific additional question...

What's the best option for me to get a competition grade frame-mounted optic? Would it be possible to adapt one of the mounts available for a 2011 to work on the P226 frame? It seems there are several variants of mounts that are designed to work with different frame thicknesses, this is why I'm thinking it might be possible to adapt one for the Sig frame. Does anyone know of one that might work for this?

And if not, how difficult might it be to have a custom mount fabricated?

Forgot to add - I don't want to use a mount that attaches to the picatinny rail of the pistol. I don't really like the aesthetic of those mounts, and I want something that looks more purpose-built for the specific pistol. So it must be a mount that gets drilled and tapped into the dust cover.

Good note, but for the purposes of this thread it's a bit beside the point. I'm looking for a frame-mount that taps into the dust cover; Ideally, it would even leave enough space for a light/laser module to be mounted on the rail.

What I'm picturing in my head for this build will end up being a Frankengun of components all aimed at making the pistol the best defense platform possible, while also adding to the fun factor at the range. Here's the list I've come up with thus far;

- Sig P226 SAO Legion 9mm minor

- Frame-mounted Leupold Deltapoint Pro

- V6 or V8 ports/popple holes

- Slide lightening (I'm thinking I may even have a custom shop do full engraving on the entirety of the frame/slide to make the pistol that much more unique and display-quality)

- Magwell/extended base pads

- Green laser/light combo module (assuming whatever optic mount I go with leaves enough clearance for the rail to still be functional)

It'll take a while to get all of the work done, but once it's complete I'll have a show-quality, one of a kind nightstand resident that will be extremely fun to plink with and have as many practical advantages as possible.

I have my doubts about it being a good SC gun. The bore axis is so high that recovery for the next shot is slower. I know a lot of people say that doesn't matter for SC, but it does if you are fast. I had a custom P226 made in 9mm. It was the most beautifully finished gun i have ever owned. I sold it and got a CZ Tactical Sport in 40. I got it for Limited, but subsequently found out that shooting minor for steel, pins or any other game, it was much, much fasted that the P226 ever was.

My recommendation is to buy the Sig rail bridge mount. It is inexpensive. See how well the pistol performs before you decide to alter the frame. I'll tell you from experience that you can remove and replace the bridge mount and the zero will not be altered.

I don't like the aesthetics of the bridge mount, however solid it may be. I'm set on using a mount that's screwed into the dust cover. Even if the bridge mount is just as stable and holds zero just as well, to me the aesthetics are worth the more complex manner of mounting an optic.

Can anyone tell me how difficult it will be to adapt a pre-manufactured optic mount, originally made for a 2011, for use one the P226? Or should I assume the best way to go about it will be getting a custom mount made and installed?

Who would be good to talk to about modifying/fabricating the mount?

R, you have several choices not limited to 2011 mounts. Aside from clearance issues, the only critical thing is to make sure the plane of the red dot mounting surface is parallel to the bore axis when in battery. I don't know of a jig for a P226.

You are going to have to attach the mount to the frame over the rail, so it is going to look like a bridge mount anyway. 2011 mounts are usually swept back. You may have fewer problems if you go with a mount designed for a polymer pistol. Unless you get something custom made, you will probably have to go with an RTS2.

Something you might consider as an alternative is mounting in the rear sight dovetail. Burris makes such a mount specifically for a P226. I have Burris FF3s mounted that way on several competition pistols, including my Open gun. I have never had a problem with any of them, and i shoot a lot.

Zzt, Thanks for your thoughts! It's sounding more and more like the best way to go is going to be getting the made custom made.

As for your suggestion of a slide-mounted optic - I've had the chance to shoot a handful of optics-equipped pistols at this point, some with a slide-mounted sight and others with a frame-mounted red dot, and time and time again I've found I prefer the frame-mounted dot. I like the sight remaining stationary, the pistols generally felt much more balanced in my hand, it was too easy to notice the additional moving mass of the optic when the slide cycled, and overall I much prefer the appearance of the frame-mounted dots over sights mounted on the slide.

I suppose now my question is, what are some names that could be suggested to talk with about getting the custom mount manufactured?

Edited by Rudukai13