Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Is With Sti Trojans?

SRT Driver

Four local shooters have had to send their STI Trojans back multiple times to get simple problems fixed. Varying from feed issues, two bad barrels (keyholing at 10 yards).

Even saw a high end gun (Rangemaster) with the hammer leaning to one side with wear makes on the side of the hammer as if the pin holes were misaligned.

And with the number of forum members complaining, What is up?

I haven't experienced any keyholing w/ mine - seems very accurate w/ factory ammo (1" at 15 yards is the best I've managed so far - my group shooting sucks right now).

So far, my feed issues seem to be corrected, after the ramp was recut. It remains to be seen what will happen once I've ordered some Tripp mags. Those seem to be due to some design decisions that STI made, that vary from the 1911 spec (the mag catch height, the ramp dimensions, etc). New pistols shouldn't have those problems, though, so there may be other issues at play, as well.

My hammer strut fit is poor, and my trigger fits poorly (which is also a common issue on the early pistols, apparently), but neither seems to affect function. My hammer/sear engagement seems to be square, and the hammer's straight, so no issues there.

I can't explain why the rash of issues w/ these pistols. However, my dealings with the factory have been very positive, so far, and they *do* seem to care about getting the gun running (at least in my case - I can't speak for others...).

All that said, I've had occasion to play with a couple of Kimbers, the Sig GSR, SAs, Paras, etc, recently. My Trojan *feels* like its put together best, to me. The slide to frame fit is smooth, the gun's rounded in most of the right areas, etc - it feels most like a custom pistol, to me. If I don't encounter further feeding issues (that aren't caused by me), I will be a happy customer....

You would think that for the price of these pistols that there would be alot less problems. But, like XRe said STI is willing to try and take care of the problem.

I agree, these S_I pistols are priced like the Mercedes Benz, and BMWs. So it is dissapointing to know that it can still suffer hiccups out of the box. When these things happen, one is bound to ask for the compelling "value addition" of pricing them so high.

It seems to make better sense to use a cheaper base gun. Easy to replace when it breaks :)

The Trojan is not priced like a MB or BMW. The pistol goes for $922 from most places. That makes it fairly reasonable!!

The accuracy on the Trojan is generally outstanding. Typically, 1.5 inches @ 25 yards. That is in the league with the Baer/Wilsons, but for about $500 less! btw, mine is closer to 1 inch.

That said STI has had quality issues for the last three years. Trojans leave that place needing a lot of work. Sure STI is very service oriented. Chris is a great guy.

But, the cost of sending the gun back and forth is not cheap and is a real pain the ass. I know the pain, having sent mine back several times.

Got my Trojan from from a named dealer. It was a piece of crap. Sent it back a total of three times, it was still a piece of crap. Cost me a small fortune to keep shipping it. To this day I can not believe they let something like that out of the factory. Finally sent it to Virgil Tripp it has been perfect ever since. Virgil Tripp is a true gentleman.

I sold a Springfield Champion to buy my Trojan. The Springfield had zero problems .The accuracy of the Springfield wasn't quite what the Trojan is, but it fed perfect every time. The fit and finish of the Trojan seems better than the Springfield.If I can get my Trojan feeding 100% like the Springfield I will be very happy with it.

Bountyhunter, I do not necessarily disagree with you. When the trojans finally run they are great guns, very accurate. It is a real pain in the @#$%, to be sending them back and forth. STI is so inconsistent with their quality it @#%@^^&*!!!

Brazos and Dawson say they test and fix them before sending the out, so if I was to buy another one I would go to Bob or Dave for it and NOT FROM THE FACTORY.

All my future purchases will either be full custom guns or from Nowlin/Brown/Baer. My dad used to say it is cheaper to go first class, I just relearned that lesson with my Trojan.

mcoliver,

sorry to hear they are so expensive over on your side of the pond. i did not realize your locality when I made my comment. I would be a tad bit @#%!^, if it did not work for twice the price also.

Bountyhunter, I do not necessarily disagree with you.  When the trojans finally run they are great guns, very accurate.  It is a real pain in the @#$%, to be sending them back and forth.  STI is so inconsistent with their quality it @#%@^^&*!!!

You could be right, I haven't bought a new one in a few years. A while back I distictly remember musing that I hoped that they didn't get "Kimber Syndrome", which is where a small outfit making nearly perfect hand fitted guns for a good price gets discovered and then has to increase volumes... with disasterous results. IMO, it has ruined Kimber and dropped their quality down to the same as all the other off-the-rack suppliers.

Sounds like STI is having some guns get out that needed some more tuning before they left home. At least STI is aggressive in fixing problems, but you are right in that it is expensive and infuriating to have to send new guns back to the factory.

I had my last one built by Bob hunter so it was perfect when I got it. That may have been a smart move.