Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coated 124s that push test over 1.15 in a CZ?

ArrDave

So if you want to tell me that the 15k rounds I shot last year were really bad and I should have been blown up then go ahead.

Reloading manuals are recommendations and starting points anyways.

I'm not telling you they should have blown up the gun, man.

I'm telling you that your assumption that a minor PF "can't hurt anything" is wrong. And the fact that you say that reloading manuals are "recommendations and starting points" confirms my concerns. The load data in reloading manuals is in fact just reports on what they tested and what the results were, and they definitely don't need to be stuck to strictly. They in fact in most cases can NOT be stuck to strictly. BUT there's so much more in reloading manuals than load data. And you clearly haven't read it. There's general science and theory that explains how this stuff works, that if you understand, you'll know that ideas like "a minor load can't hurt anything" are wrong and can get you into trouble. You'll know that ideas like "faster powders are better for loading short" are wrong and can lead you into trouble.

I'm not saying your current load is going to blow up your gun. I'm saying that safe practice dictates you back off when primers flatten. I'll while you might be seating your primers hard enough to flatten them a little, that's not how you presented your flattened primers originally. I'm saying that the reloading practice that got you to that load isn't informed or safe, and even if that load itself is fine, even if you can fire 100,000 more of them without a catastrophic failure, your view of how to get there might get you in trouble with some other load in the future. Or might get someone else in trouble when they read a comment like "minor PF loads can't hurt anything" when in fact power factor has nothing to do with catastrophic failures, and we can reach dangerous pressures with both minor and major PF loads.

I don't want to argue with you. It's just that "minor PF loads can't hurt anything" is a dangerous idea, and it shouldn't be floated out there as advice where people who don't understand how to do all this yet and look to this forum for guidance will come along and read it.

Well stated IDescribe, in both posts. :cheers:

You need to understand what is going on in the case when you load ammo. I will validate what I said earlier, in some cases exceptionally soft primers can make things a little more confusing. I am still trying to finish off some Remington 1 1/2 primers I bought accidentally, that aren't really supposed to be used for 'high pressure' cartridges like 9mm or .40 anyway, but The small amount of flattening, and swiping I am keeping an eye on, is not enough for me to throw them in the trash.

Idescribe, I agree with you that i over stepped when i said minor pf won't hurt anything as it was a bad analogy. I mainly was trying to say that with minor loads the window for minor flexibility is better than if loading major. i've read a few reloading manuals and understand how things work, and thorough experience ive also learned that there is always room for minor variances in most cases. I would never post something in a public forum that was unsafe and i wouldnt be doing it as well.