Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Syrac gas leak

Ryan N

Got this response today. I called and arranged payment. A photo I took shows that gasblock was indeed up against the shoulder. I wasn't aware that was a no no. Here is the message:

"Your Gas Block has been inspected. We will need you to call our office to arrange payment for return shipping. Joe was unable to find anything wrong with your Gas Block but he did replace all the components of the adjustment system. It does look as though you may have your gas block positioned with the back of the block up against the shoulder, this can cause gas to leak. Please be sure to space it .025 from the shoulder when you re-install the Gas Block."

Got this response today. I called and arranged payment. A photo I took shows that gasblock was indeed up against the shoulder. I wasn't aware that was a no no. Here is the message:

"Your Gas Block has been inspected. We will need you to call our office to arrange payment for return shipping. Joe was unable to find anything wrong with your Gas Block but he did replace all the components of the adjustment system. It does look as though you may have your gas block positioned with the back of the block up against the shoulder, this can cause gas to leak. Please be sure to space it .025 from the shoulder when you re-install the Gas Block."

Curious,

Why will this cause the block to leak?

Well I am NOT sticking up for anyone, and some of this sounds excessive, but almost all gas "blocks" leak. It is darn hard to seal 50,000 psi!!! Clamp on blocks do pretty good. Pinned blocks a la "G.I." do alright, and set screws through the bottom leak a bit, BUT if the carbine is functioning 100% what does it matter???

Well I am NOT sticking up for anyone, and some of this sounds excessive, but almost all gas "blocks" leak. It is darn hard to seal 50,000 psi!!! Clamp on blocks do pretty good. Pinned blocks a la "G.I." do alright, and set screws through the bottom leak a bit, BUT if the carbine is functioning 100% what does it matter???

My concern is that all the sudden when I was shooting this rifle I would end up with a lot of carbon on the inside of my hand(forward hand). It had never done this in the past and then all the sudden it started.

I reinstalled the GB today. Come to find out to perfectly align the GB port with the barrel port I had to space the GB .045" from the shoulder. The port in my barrel is .080". I originally had the ports pretty drastically misaligned.