Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Equipment questions/suggestion

BillR1

I posted this on the IDPA forum, but I want to get feedback from here also...

After a couple of recent discussions on this subject, I've become convinced that many of IDPA's equipment rules are needlessly cumbersome and could be greatly simplified. IMO, equipment regulations for the divisions should be limited to physical characteristics only, without regard for how they got that way.

For example, if a bobbed hammer is legal for REV division, it shouldn't make any difference if the shooter bobbed his own factory hammer or he bought one already modified, provided all safety features remained in place.
If a certain length dust cover is legal and the gun fits in "the box", what difference does it make if the gun was bought with that length dust cover or if the shooter shortened it? The end result is the same.
There are many examples like this. It seems like this concept would greatly simplify equipment check stations at matches. The person doing the inspection would only need to check the gun for proper safety functionality and make sure the gun is physically legal for a particular division. (box fit, barrel length, weight, magazine weight, etc.) They would not be tasked with being an expert in all types of firearms and trying to determine if a particular gun originally came in this configuration or not.
This seems too easy...what am I missing?
Edited by BillR1

This seems too easy...what am I missing? You are trying to make sense out of IDPA rules. They didn't really make sense back in 97, and they make less sense today. Just let go and accept that IDPA is simply opposite, or different, than USPSA. Think about this, you can shoot any USPSA match by IDPA rules, including IWB holsters for Limited, L10 and Open. Shoot from concealment, cover, slice the pie, tactical/sequential priority, retained reloads, all that stuff, because there is on USPSA rule against it......