Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lead cast bullets in a DAA MR Bullet feeder

I shoot a lot of Lead cast bullets in my 45. I am looking at getting a Mr Bullet feeder for my Dillon 650. Was wondering if anyone had any problems with lead cast feedingin the mr bullet feeder ? I did read that some people have dusted the bullets with mica. Any lube preference ?

The main issue concerning wax lubed bullets occurs in the collator. Wax on the sides of bullets causes drag which interferes with reliably flipping the bullets.

A dusting of powdered mica on the bullets greatly reduces that drag. Occasionally dusting a thin film of mica on the collator

plate slot walls is also useful. People usually put their bullets into a coffee can or gallon baggie... add some mica powder and

roll the bullets around to be coated. Cast bullets with the new coatings work fine... just like jacketed/plated/moly-coated.

Alternatively, I have received reports from users having success spraying original Armor-All on the bullets and letting it dry.

It's quite slippery and seems to work OK for many users. Silicone spray has also been used. The important factor is not to use any

petroleum based lubricants since they can affect primers and/or powder over time.

Also note that if using cast bullets with wax lube, load in a relatively cool environment to keep the wax as hard as possible.

If you are casting and lubing your own bullets, try to use the hardest wax available.

As a result of my experience with coated bullets in the Mr. Bulletfeeder, let me suggest that you avoid "old-style" coated bullets with (unfilled) lube grooves: the groove tends to catch on the edge of the nose guide as the bullet flips and can "climb" upward to the point that they occasionally jump right out of the collator (somewhat unnerving to have bullets bouncing off the bench!). I have since switched to NLG (No Lube Groove) coated bullets and that ended the problem.