Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help deciding

The turrets are pretty nice, but for $300 bucks, i would simply just go for a $100-150 single stage and save for a dillon 550B, or get a 550 off the bat. You can get into a 550 for about $500 assuming you don't get a bunch of the accessories that you don't necessarily need. I built my bench high so I didn't need the strong mount or any of the other bins. The only thing I got added to the base price was a few more primer tubes, a .223 caliber conversion (it comes with one) and the roller handle. I was into it for a bit over $500. All that said, the redding T7 looks sweet and has the tubular depriming thing also. Plus redding makes some REALLY nice presses. That also said, my PRS shooting buddies (who shoot and reload precision rifle MUCH more proficiently than I do) are not fans of turret presses for gnats ass precision loads and only do loads on a single stage.

I would get a Redding Big Boss II single stage press to simply get started. It has an AWESOME deprimer system that drops the spent primers through the ram into a collection bin. This keeps the press clean when depriming. I currently use a hornady classic single stage press for precision rifle, load development and depriming that gets SUPER gummed up from the primer debris, (which has lead in it). All the crap that comes out of the primer pocket means you have to clean and lube the ram every 500 pieces of brass or so. I deprime on the single stage because the primers leave a significant amount of debris behind when you punch them out and I hated cleaning my Dillon 550. If you go single stage (or even a turret) you will eventually want a Dillon 650 but keep the single stage as you will appreciate it for small volume rifle and load development.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/271710/redding-big-boss-ii-single-stage-reloading-press.

Nebwake. What about the Redding T-7? Can be used as a single stage, but have to capability to do a little higher volume as well. I've also looked at the Lee classic turret. I'm holding out for a Dillon or Hornady progressive when I'm ready for that jump.

"Protected by Shield"

Makes sense. I like that Redding single stage, as well as the Hornady one. I'll need all the accessories also scales, calipers, etc. . So single stage may be way to go.

"Protected by Shield"

In that price range the rock chucker kit for $225 can't be beat..then when you get the funds a Dillon you'll want a single stage anyways.

https://www.slickguns.com/product/rcbs-rock-chucker-supreme-master-kit-23999-after-sale-price-mir-cabelas-black-friday-2012

I agree, There are still times I use my single stage RCBS. There are several calibers I don't load in large qualities, such as my 500 S&W, and the single stage works just fine. It also works better for load development than a progressive, in my opinion.

Lee classic turret, can be used as a single, manual index or auto index.

I use it for load development and my rifle. Each caliber has its own head so just drop in and you are rolling.

I use a progressive for 9mm and 40.

I couldn't see myself owning a single stage again.

I use it for load development and my rifle. Each caliber has its own head so just drop in and you are rolling.

The way your using the lee was why I was thinking it would be a good choice. I could use it to learn the loading process while I save up for a Dillon or Hornaday progressive. Then still have it for rifle and work up loads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The way your using the lee was why I was thinking it would be a good choice. I could use it to learn the loading process while I save up for a Dillon or Hornaday progressive. Then still have it for rifle and work up loads.

I agree. Unlike a single stage, the Classic Turret can produce useful quantities of ammo while you learn (200-275 rounds per hour) and it's as affordable as the single stages mentioned.

Hmmm, I started out with a RockChucker (RCBS single stage press with Uniflo powder dispenser, loading blocks, and dies) upgraded to a Lee Classic Turret, added a few more items like hand primer, more dies, and finally, went "Blue" and I use all three, the single stage is handy for some items, like sizing and recapping a few empty cases, the Turret I use for a few calibers, namely .380/223, and Dillon 550B does everything else. I really like the Lee turret, it is a

reliable press, and makes quality ammunition. It is a bit slower than the Dillon, but I believe you would be well served with one on your bench. Warning, this is a very habit forming craft, you will not settle for one press! Eventually, you will bite the bullet and have either a Hornady or Dillon progressive in your service...

Hmmm, I started out with a RockChucker (RCBS single stage press with Uniflo powder dispenser, loading blocks, and dies) upgraded to a Lee Classic Turret, added a few more items like hand primer, more dies, and finally, went "Blue" and I use all three, the single stage is handy for some items, like sizing and recapping a few empty cases, the Turret I use for a few calibers, namely .380/223, and Dillon 550B does everything else. I really like the Lee turret, it is a

reliable press, and makes quality ammunition. It is a bit slower than the Dillon, but I believe you would be well served with one on your bench. Warning, this is a very habit forming craft, you will not settle for one press! Eventually, you will bite the bullet and have either a Hornady or Dillon progressive in your service...

I just put the Lee turret on my bench a couple days ago. And I can see it'll be habit forming... I already have my eyes on a Hornady lnl[emoji16]

"Protected by Shield"

I run Hornady presses. My main press is a Lock-n-Load progressive. I added the case feeder and bullet feeders to it last year. I can load 100 rounds of 9mm in 6 minutes on that setup. For the way I load, I like the individual die bushings. I have seaters and powder measure inserts for every single load that I run. Seaters, expanders, etc are common by caliber. Everything is barcoded and is managed by my reloading software. When you pull up a load, all of the required tooling is shown as well. That way, I just snap the individual tooling in and start loading. My advice is to buy a progressive....you'll get tired of a single stage very quickly. You can't go wrong with Hornady or Dillon. Both have excellent service and great products.

natitude

Welcome to the ranks of the handloader.

My advice for you take it for what it is worth is to load up and shoot a lot of ammo and learn everything you can about handloading. After about a year of so you will have a much better idea of where you are going with this hobby and how much of, and which calibers you will be loading. Then you will be able to know for sure what kind of future press purchase to make, the ultimate press that make will put that big smile on your face!

From my personal experience and no two people are alike, I prefer to stand while handloading. I cannot get comfortable sitting and with the press bolted directly to the bench, fifteen minutes of pulling the lever gets me on the road to a massive backache. So for me having the bench configured to fit me is as important as the type of press. But I didn't know any of this when I first started.

For now consider putting your money into a quality powder scale, brass cleaning equipment, case gauges, calipers, a good bench, good lighting and storage space, manuals, chrono, lots of powder and other consumables.

When I moved to a progressive I knew that I would be using it mainly for 3 pistol calibers and so I bought everything I needed to make quick caliber changes. This added hundreds of dollars to the cost of the actual press. But I already had at that point all of the other (non press) tools. Handloading is a hobby that can quickly get out of control financially.

As stated I have one of each type of press, a single stage, turret and progressive. When I went to the turret from the SS I thought I would never use the SS again, but since I started loading rifle I have gained a new found appreciation for the old SS press. Having the press mounted at a good working position and having the other tools needed to load rifle ammo and having the bench set up properly is very important and actually increases efficiency and enjoyment. If I had to make a choice between getting rid of one of my presses it would be the turret but actually I really like them all.

natitude

Welcome to the ranks of the handloader.

My advice for you take it for what it is worth is to load up and shoot a lot of ammo and learn everything you can about handloading. After about a year of so you will have a much better idea of where you are going with this hobby and how much of, and which calibers you will be loading. Then you will be able to know for sure what kind of future press purchase to make, the ultimate press that make will put that big smile on your face!

From my personal experience and no two people are alike, I prefer to stand while handloading. I cannot get comfortable sitting and with the press bolted directly to the bench, fifteen minutes of pulling the lever gets me on the road to a massive backache. So for me having the bench configured to fit me is as important as the type of press. But I didn't know any of this when I first started.

For now consider putting your money into a quality powder scale, brass cleaning equipment, case gauges, calipers, a good bench, good lighting and storage space, manuals, chrono, lots of powder and other consumables.

When I moved to a progressive I knew that I would be using it mainly for 3 pistol calibers and so I bought everything I needed to make quick caliber changes. This added hundreds of dollars to the cost of the actual press. But I already had at that point all of the other (non press) tools. Handloading is a hobby that can quickly get out of control financially.

As stated I have one of each type of press, a single stage, turret and progressive. When I went to the turret from the SS I thought I would never use the SS again, but since I started loading rifle I have gained a new found appreciation for the old SS press. Having the press mounted at a good working position and having the other tools needed to load rifle ammo and having the bench set up properly is very important and actually increases efficiency and enjoyment. If I had to make a choice between getting rid of one of my presses it would be the turret but actually I really like them all.

Thanks firewood! I'm excited to get going!

Thanks for the great advice... I can see where this hobby can get out of hand financially real quick. I've almost acquired everything I need to get started. Just waiting on my powder to arrive and going to order my tumbler and media this weekend. I spent this past weekend dialing in my bench and setting up my dies on the press. Almost there [emoji3][emoji1303]

"Protected by Shield"

natitude

A few random thoughts.

If you are buying 1 pound canisters of powder try to get it locally because with shipping and hazmat fees it's more than the actual powder. 8 pounds would be the minimum I would buy mail order. But since you are new it may not be a good idea to buy 8 pound kegs until you become a fan of a particular powder. May I ask what powder you are getting and which primers and bullets you are starting with?

I mentioned in a previous post about making the bench comfortable. For about the first year and a half I tried all kinds of press mounting positions and loading seated/standing options in an effort to keep my back from becoming a flaming wreck. I really resisted paying $75.00 for a press mount (Ultra mount or Strong mount both are basically the same). But once I bit the bullet and got one (I have an Ultramount) I cannot imagine not having one. Also good lighting is a must.

I just added accessory dual bullet bins to one of my presses and love it so much that I bought another for the other press mount. As we head into the spring shooting season I find that I have plenty of ammo made up so I will not become a slave to the bench for at least a few more months. My plan is to make a few improvements to my bench, the kinds of things that only experience will inspire you to do. You will as you gain experience find the weak points in your set-up and look for down times to make changes.

Try as I might to exercise at least a minimum amount of fiscal responsibility with this hobby, I find that I really want ergo handles, I will plan on getting them in the future. As long as the ability to make ammo is there, add-ons can be purchased as funds allow.

Sometimes it seems like building up a handloading bench is like building a car, beginning with the radio. First you buy the radio (ie: the press) then you get the other things you need to make the car a functioning piece of machinery. So when it's all said an done the press itself is almost lost in a sea of accessories and add-ons. Yet all we want to talk about is the radio.

Edited by firewood

natitude

A few random thoughts.

If you are buying 1 pound canisters of powder try to get it locally because with shipping and hazmat fees it's more than the actual powder. 8 pounds would be the minimum I would buy mail order. But since you are new it may not be a good idea to buy 8 pound kegs until you become a fan of a particular powder. May I ask what powder you are getting and which primers and bullets you are starting with?

I mentioned in a previous post about making the bench comfortable. For about the first year and a half I tried all kinds of press mounting positions and loading seated/standing options in an effort to keep my back from becoming a flaming wreck. I really resisted paying $75.00 for a press mount (Ultra mount or Strong mount both are basically the same). But once I bit the bullet and got one (I have an Ultramount) I cannot imagine not having one. Also good lighting is a must.

I just added accessory dual bullet bins to one of my presses and love it so much that I bought another for the other press mount. As we head into the spring shooting season I find that I have plenty of ammo made up so I will not become a slave to the bench for at least a few more months. My plan is to make a few improvements to my bench, the kinds of things that only experience will inspire you to do. You will as you gain experience find the weak points in your set-up and look for down times to make changes.

Try as I might to exercise at least a minimum amount of fiscal responsibility with this hobby, I find that I really want ergo handles, I will plan on getting them in the future. As long as the ability to make ammo is there, add-ons can be purchased as funds allow.

Sometimes it seems like building up a handloading bench is like building a car, beginning with the radio. First you buy the radio (ie: the press) then you get the other things you need to make the car a functioning piece of machinery. So when it's all said an done the press itself is almost lost in a sea of accessories and add-ons. Yet all we want to talk about is the radio.

First. Thanks again for all the advice. There's so much I'm learning from experienced hand loaders like you.

Answer to your first question. I ordered a pound of Alliant Power Pistol. I found a little way around the hazmat fee(shhh[emoji16]). If you order on bass pro's website and do "site to store" there's no shipping or hazmat. I have one near my job, so not out of the way. Also think that'll be good in future as I want to try other brands before ordering bulk online.

For primers I bought CCI 500 small pistol.

For bullets my dad sent me 500 115g bullets from Infinity Ammunition as a "welcome to hand loading " gift.

My tumbler should arrive tomorrow. I'm just not sure which media to go with... walnut or corn cob?

"Protected by Shield"

I started with a Redding Big Boss II. When I wanted to get a progressive press, I visited a buddy who has several progressives. I spent a day working with a Dillon 650 and a few hours on an RCBS Pro2000. Then I bought a used Pro2000. It was a LOT easier for me to use and cheaper to add calibers.

You cant go wrong with Dillon or RCBS in terms of customer support. RCBS has sent me parts i needed for my press (missing/broken) without any drama and at no charge with free shipping to boot.

• 2 weeks later...

I might recommend the basic 550 press for 259.00 you could always upgrade the primer system and get a powder measurer.you might even look at throwing a lee auto drum powder measure on it to speed up reloading,I use one on my 550 for .223