Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag seating

John Dunn

I notice when seating a 140mm mag in an STI there is a double click.  This seems to be the mag being inserted past the mag release and then catching as the mag backs out a little.  I'm used to a SS with a positive stop on the mags to keep them from being over inserted.  Is there anything to worry about here, or is this just how the long mags work?  Thanks!

John:

Well you got me to go try all of my mags. That's probably why you posted, to get all of us to try it out, lol.

I don't know if it's anything to worry about, but none of my magazines do a double click. I can push them past the point where the magazine release clicks in and then they come back a tiny bit. My 10 round single stack mags do the same thing. Of course, the base plate on regular old single stack mags hit the frame and stop "over" insertion.

Erik,

The basepad is nowhere close to the magwell.  I think maybe the first click is the top round hitting the slide, and then as I release pressure the second click is the mag release engaging.  It hasn't caused a problem yet, I just like to worry.

That sounds like a good guess, the round or the lips hitting the slide. Is this noticeable done slowly and deliberately and/or done hard and fast? You could disassemble your mags and try it just with the tube.

As long as the mag stays in and feeds rounds, then drops when you press the release, I wouldn't worry about it.