Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock comp.. what is this?

joshxdm9

Let me start by saying I am green as green can be when it comes to open guns. I have just made to move to give it a try. The gun is a glock Gen 3 17 with a lone wolf 34 barrel and slide. My question is why with this comp is there a space between the end on the slide to the comp? Is it the type comp that is on it or is the lone wolf barrel longer than others and no matter what comp I put on there is it still going to look like this? I just don't care for the look and would like to put a carver 3 or 4 port comp on it. Do the carver comp threads set back inside the comp to allow it to set closer to the slide? I have seen a lot of other open glocks that set flush with the slide. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

post-41841-0-30240200-1452700070_thumb.j

post-41841-0-62076200-1452700087_thumb.j

post-41841-0-88567000-1452700108_thumb.j

Looks like the comp isn't cut deep enough perhaps?

That's also an odd comp. Small ports, I would get a carver or sjc and call it a day. You won't have much affect with that comp.

Edited by Open1215

Looks like the comp isn't cut deep enough perhaps?

That's also an odd comp. Small ports, I would get a carver or sjc and call it a day. You won't have much affect with that comp.

That's the thing it is not cut back at all. I have no intentions on using it. It just came with the gun, just wanted to find out before I ordered a new on if it set back closer to the slide.

post-41841-0-03349000-1452724296_thumb.j

Is the slide a 34 slide or a 17 slide? If a 17 slide with 34 barrel that's what's gonna happen. If it is a 34 slide that's different. That is an issue on lone wolf barrels as they are more suppressor barrels than anything. The SJC comp fits flush with a lonewolf barrel

Edited by EkuJustice

Got ya. I had a lone wolf and a carver comp. It fit flush w/o any issues. Order a comp and a 11 lb flat spring of you have a guide rod you can change the spring on. Either way, get a lighter spring to go w the comp. You can go carver or sjc, both are popular. Sjc is simular in design to the sti trubor comp. With the comp you have not having a recess, that's the issue. Carvers comp has a nice set of directions for installation.

Is the slide a 34 slide or a 17 slide? If a 17 slide with 34 barrel that's what's gonna happen. If it is a 34 slide that's different. That is an issue on lone wolf barrels as they are more suppressor barrels than anything. The SJC comp fits flush with a lonewolf barrel

It is a 34 slide. Are the lone wolf barrels ok to run major pf?

Got ya. I had a lone wolf and a carver comp. It fit flush w/o any issues. Order a comp and a 11 lb flat spring of you have a guide rod you can change the spring on. Either way, get a lighter spring to go w the comp. You can go carver or sjc, both are popular. Sjc is simular in design to the sti trubor comp. With the comp you have not having a recess, that's the issue. Carvers comp has a nice set of directions for installation.

I like to 3 port carver. I plan to shoot mostly minor pf. Is there any fitting involved or just red loctite and thread on?

For me (carver 3 port lw barrel COMBO) I didn't have any issues. I think I just added red locktight, threaded the comp on w recoil system in, threaded until it touched, then backed off 360, index it in the correct direction and that was it.

I have an Open 34 with a LW barrel and Carver 3-port. It fits great, but even with red loctite it would get loose when it became hot . I drilled/tapped it for a small setscrew to correspond with the flat on the bottom of the barrel. Works SO much better.

For me (carver 3 port lw barrel COMBO) I didn't have any issues. I think I just added red locktight, threaded the comp on w recoil system in, threaded until it touched, then backed off 360, index it in the correct direction and that was it.

Do you run major loads through the 3 port? How is it?

I have an Open 34 with a LW barrel and Carver 3-port. It fits great, but even with red loctite it would get loose when it became hot . I drilled/tapped it for a small setscrew to correspond with the flat on the bottom of the barrel. Works SO much better.

Are you running minor or major?

Are you running minor or major?

I was running minor, and will continue to for everything but bigger matches. From LW, the barrel leades are cut waaaaay too short to run major. I had to deep-seat bullets to the point where they looked like .380's just to get them to chamber, and the chamber diameter was incredibly tight and unreliable. I sent it back to LW and had them recut the chamber leade to accept 9mm loaded to nearly 38Super OAL, and I had them open up the chamber as well. Now I'd feel safe running a moderate amount of Major loads if I had it sprung right. Got 1st place in my first match with it shooting minor...ya just gotta shoot all A's. :goof:

Edited by RippinSVT

Yes I ran major. I was loading 8.2g 3n38 under a 124. I forget the oal. It was nice. Sold it before I started loading with hs6. Now I would recommend that. It's cheaper feels the same. Just dirty and you don't get fireballs :-/ lol

I run a lone wolf barrel and Carver 4 port comp and had LW open up the chamber slightly to allow for slightly longer OAL. I had the 3 port carver comp and didnt like it for 9mm major. I run 90% Major (in my 4 port) and have 3500-4000 rounds through it (170PF) with only a couple issues. 9mm major is hard on guns. it takes weaknesses and exaggerates them.. For instance. I ran a rear slide plate slide racker that after 2000 rounds of 9mm major started sliding out of position randomly and stopping the gun from going into battery. Had to put the factory rear plate back on.

LW will run major. Glock will run fine, just know that you will have to do some Preventative Maintenance like on any other redlining race machine to keep her running.

Let me start by saying I am green as green can be when it comes to open guns. I have just made to move to give it a try. The gun is a glock Gen 3 17 with a lone wolf 34 barrel and slide. My question is why with this comp is there a space between the end on the slide to the comp? Is it the type comp that is on it or is the lone wolf barrel longer than others and no matter what comp I put on there is it still going to look like this? I just don't care for the look and would like to put a carver 3 or 4 port comp on it. Do the carver comp threads set back inside the comp to allow it to set closer to the slide? I have seen a lot of other open glocks that set flush with the slide. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Your barrel is too long for your slide. Only the threaded part should protrude the slide when without a comp. in your case theres the unthreaded part in front of the slide.

Just received carver 3 port comp. Dry fit and it does fit right up tight to the front of the slide !!! I could not be happier with the look. Going to have slide, comp, and barrel cerakoted so have not locktite it on and shot yet. Will post pics when cerakote is done.

Do yourself a favor and drill/tap for a set-screw on the underside. There's a 1/4" (ish) hole that you can drill down through. I can't remember what I used, maybe an 8-32, but it was the only thing that would keep the comp tight when the gun got warm.

Do yourself a favor and drill/tap for a set-screw on the underside. There's a 1/4" (ish) hole that you can drill down through. I can't remember what I used, maybe an 8-32, but it was the only thing that would keep the comp tight when the gun got warm.

Should this 1/4" ish hole be on the bottom at the guide rod bump of the comp? If so it's not there.