Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Is Your Average Attendance

I was curious how many people shoot your local club matches on a regular basis. Don't include special events or "ICE" days.

I'm trying to get our club to 30 shooters. Right now we seem to get from 12 to 22 on any given match day.

One of the clubs I shoot at hosts 2 matches per month. One is a Action Pistol/handgun and the other is a 3-gun. They also shoot Pistol Caliber Carbines at the handgun matches. They have seen 80+ shooters for the handgun matches, that is not counting the PCC shooters that are shooting it twice. They will get 35-40 for the 3-gun matches. Both have 7 stages.

Ron,

I assume you are talking about the CASA club?

Looks like you had:

32 (special classifer)

How is your club setup? Who does what?

Do you have the same handful of shooters doing all the work?

Have you hosted a Level 1 Range Officer class this year? Last year? Any in your section?

Who is designing all the stages (you need some bigger stages, by the way...sounds like you have room for them).

So many Q's Flex.

Here I go.

I assume you are talking about the CASA club? yes

Looks like you had:

12 - low count due to cold weather, I think.

32 (special classifer) - nice attendance

18 - a good average turnout

How is your club setup? I don't understand the quesiton.

Who does what? We have 60 club members and not all of them are competitors. Most are IDPA and they don't set up USPSA matches. Which is understandable. That leaves a handful of USPSA club members in which only 2 or 3 of us shoot on a regular basis. So to answer this and the next quesiton, 3 of us (USPSA) shooters set up all of the USPSA matches. I've been doing it for 2.5 years now.

Do you have the same handful of shooters doing all the work? yes, with an occasional helper who is appreciated.

Have you hosted a Level 1 Range Officer class this year? Just finished one in January with Troy McManus. Great guy.

Any in your section? We have many RO's in our section. That's good.

Who is designing all the stages (you need some bigger stages, by the way...sounds like you have room for them). Yeah, we have 13 working bays to shoot in. This months match was simplier because I set it up 10 days in advance because our normal set up day, the day before the USPSA match, I wanted to go and shoot the Single Stack Attack in Mountain Home Arkansas. 2 of us went to that SSA match. When I set up this months match early by myself, I used what we had avaliable on the ranges. I didn't want to set up walls and steel for 7 stages by myself. The round count wasn't high this time, but it was an accuracy match...My work schedule only allowed me to set up when I did if I wanted to travel.

We normally do have elaberate stages set up at CASA. Everyone who comes and shoots always enjoys themselves. At least that is what I hear from everyone. If it's up to me, I usually set up 4 field courses and 1 speed shoot and 1 classifier. I guarantee we put on good matches. We have the Arkansas Section Championship coming this May 21,22. Come on out and enjoy it with us.

I'm puzzled. I live in Little Rock, a city of 250,000 I guess. How come we only have 6 or 8 USPSA shooters who are club members. I'm thinking of running an ad in the local paper looking for shooters. Not necessarly club members, just shooters. I feel that if they live close and shoot USPSA, most of them would want to join our club. I would have to be discreat about advertising the club though. I wouldn't want the wrong croud with the attitude of "I like to blow shit away" :o

Any ideas on bringing in new members would be appreciated. The Outdoor Life Channel has helped tremendously. I can't tell you how many people I talk with that didn't know this kind of shooting was here in the state. I NEED TO GET THE WORD OUT.

At the twice-yearly .22 League, attendance is down to 20-25. Used to be about 35. Big Bore Leagues (3x/year) down to 50-55. Used to be nearly 80. Damn range fees keep going up and unemployment is about 10%. Do the math.

At our local monthly match, we run:

-6 Shooter squads

-1 Squad every hour, on the hour from 3 to 8 + 6 extra shooters (set-up & ROs)

42 shooters - minus the no-shows. We try to fill in no-show slots with people wanting to shoot a 2nd division. Regards,

D.C Johnson

www.shootersparadise.com

Ron,

I don't really know enough about you or your club to give you an opinion.

A couple things that I think are universally important:

- build a staff...and constantly recruit and thank them

- stage design, build good stage...make them fresh (ask for design from others)

- take care that the logistics of the match are planned out (supplies, scoring, sign up...)

There is a lot more...but, the key to me is that you can't go it alone..or with just a few. Get others involved. (and it will likely be the newbies that help the most at first)