Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 pistol cnc machining blueprints

Hey everybody! My name is Brent, and I am just 15 years old but I have been offered a learning opportunity to start working with CNC machines. I know exactly what I want to do with this and that is build custom 2011 and 1911 pistols for my family and possibly make it into a small business in the near future. My only problem is I have not been able to find any free templates for the 2011 frames. What my end goal with this is to be able to mill out every single part except for the springs for these pistols. If you guys could please give me any links to websites or anything like that, then you would be an absolute life saver. Also any preferences in materials and tolerances for both carry guns and open class competition guns would not be any trouble:):) And 1911's share the same slide as a 2011, correct? Thank you so much in advance and school starts up tomorrow so if I don't follow up with you in a timely fashion, please don't take it to heart :) cant wait for responses!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the forums. Wish I would have gotten into machining and tool making at your age. Seems like knowledgable tool makers are in very short supply across the board. Even if you don't do something with firearms in the future, it's a great skill set to have.

Do you have to be licensed as a gun manufacturer to make frames?

no I do not have a license to do that yet but I will be making that accommodation in the future and from the research I have done and the other firearms enthusiasts I have talked to, if I am making the frames for myself and don't sell or make on for somebody else, it is perfectly legal. And what parts exactly cant transfer from .45 over to 38 SC? thx again yall

You are correct that anybody who is not prohibited from possessing a firearm can manufacture a firearm for themselves without a manufacturer's license according to federal law (with some restrictions and exceptions regarding the NFA). Not having a license shouldn't be an issue for you. But what you may need to check into are the federal, state, and local laws regarding possession of a firearm (and specifically a handgun) by someone under the age of 18. That does vary from location to location. The gun may need to be "owned" by your parents. Which may complicate who can "manufacture" the frame. The other parts are not an issue.

As far as the difference in parts for a 2011, the frame and pretty much all of the frame parts are common among the different calibers. However, many of the top-end parts are different. Those include the barrel, slide, extractor, ejector, firing pin, slide stop, and probably something else that I've forgotten. Also, the magazines are different (obviously).

Good luck in your adventure! I'd love to see the progress of your build as you go. For reference, it took me 2 weeks of evenings to make my first 2011 frame on my manual machines.

Thank you Mr. OKW, for that information and as soon as the files are sent to the actual machine, ill post pictures of the final products. What my plan is for this project is to get all of my measurements before I send them off to the machine,(3 major counties away so I cant do the machining in person) so then I get all of my parts and stuff back in one big package. One of the reasons I am doing this is because I have a few ideas for new concepts on the 2011 pistol itself that I have never seen anybody publish/patent before. While I wait for the machining to be done, I can order all of the innards and stuff so when I do get everything, ill have some new pistols. Regarding the ownership of pistols, I appreciate you bringing that up, and I am pretty sure that it will have to be in my parents name, but I will be doing more research on that topic.

For the record, for a "home-built" firearm, you are not allowed to create the CAD or G-code files and send them off for someone else to machine the frame or receiver of a firearm for you. The person that will own the firearm must personally do the machining themselves. The only way you can send the files to someone else is if that person has a license to manufacture firearms and they transfer the finished firearm frame or receiver to you through an FFL dealer, filling out all of the necessary paperwork for purchasing a firearm.

If the person that will be running the machine 3 counties away is one of your parents, then that will be fine. Otherwise, this could mean serious fines and jail time for all those involved.

Oh my gosh, I have never run across that legal information before on any of the websites I have visited, so thank you once again Mr. OKW! Thank God I haven't started machining yet. But, on this topic, I have some major developments with this, I have finally gotten all of the dimensions and everything worked out on Inventor, (new concept ideas for the slide) and Will be going to the machine shop relatively soon. I will not be posting the files themselves, but I will be posting pictures of progress.

I actually also have some new questions regarding 3D printers. Its no secret that lower receivers on AR's have been 3D printed before, but my question is if you can successfully (fully functional) print out a lower receiver using ABS printer filament? Also if anybody knows how to successfully apply a coating of titanium nitride (TiN) to polymer or ABS for another part on an AR, please enlighten me on that process. keep in mind that I don't have a job nor can I get one until mid-October, so I am probably on a 400 year old wine taste with a water budget. just please let me know anything you ossibly can, and thanks to everybody once again! have a great night:)