Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

You opinion please. 9mm 147g .358

Wheeljack

Working with 2 guns. A LCR 9mm and a Taurus pistol. The cylinder of the revolver is .358 and the bore .356. The pistol bore is .357. Is it right what I have read that you should load lead bullets to .001 or .002 larger than the bore? In the case of a revolver to load to the cylinder dimension plus .001 or .002. So, in these cases, I have been loading .358 bullets that are listed under the 38/357 group. I know commercial ammo is always on the smaller size, probably be cause of CYA.

I have been using lead in the revolver and had to load close to maximum to prevent leading. I have never used the new coated bullets, but wondered if I use something like the Blue Bullets would that be a good choice. With the 147gr bullets, I load the round nose to 1.160, if it fits the chamber of the pistol. How am I doing?

(great, I can edit the message but not the title. It's YOUR opinion)

Edited by Wheeljack

1. Is it right that you should load lead bullets to .001 or .002 larger than the bore?

2. I have never used the new coated bullets, but wondered if Blue Bullets are a good choice.

3. With the 147gr bullets, I load the round nose to 1.160, if it fits the chamber of the pistol.

1. Probably get better accuracy and use less powder with lead bullets a little oversized

but your pressure will increase, so you have to be careful working up a load - start

with low powder charge and work up slowly with a chrono

2. BB's are great bullets

3. If they fit the chamber of the pistol (Plunk Test), they should be fine to go, if they

also fit in your mags. :cheers:

Here is a recent post from Donie at Bayou.

The general rule of thumb is cast bullets should be .001 over bore diameter. Some barrels like .002 over bore diameter especially in 9mm.

With cast bullets whether they are coated or traditionally lubed one must often try different diameters to obtain best results.

I wanted to use the 147's with a light load, but had leading. The higher load seemed to correct the leading, but I still prefer using a lighter load. No chrono. That's why I was thinking of the BB's. They seem to have good reviews. BB's are my next purchase.

I figure that .002 is the maximum I will go to and at .358 the bullets pass the plunk test.

Thanks