Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RCBS green machine

Boy

RCBS has discontinued many models of press after they dropped the Green Machine. I think they stopped making them back in the 80's, so parts are going to be difficult to find.

The primer system was the worst part of the machine and many have converted them over to tubes but be aware that tubes without blast shields are less than ideal (like could really hurt you, life changing event stuff).

When the primer system failed, it would dump powder inside the inline advance system, jacking it up and it's not as easy to clean as a rotary.

I would buy it if it's cheap enough and all there, as a "wall hanger" or just to play with. If your just now getting into loading I would suggest a better machine before a POS reloading machine makes you change your mind.

Edited by jmorris

I bought one when they were first introduced and used it for years to load .38 Spl wadcutters. Loaded great & very accurate ammo. Two of the three weaknesses have already been mentioned. Keeping the track clean and the primer feed. I also welded up a reinforcement/stiffener piece for the bullet seating linkage which often flexed when seating the bullet. RCBS was slow getting the caliber conversions to market and by that time Dillon was taking over market share. So it's more or less a one caliber press. (The track holding the brass is adjustable so conversions are possible.) On the positive side RCBS has been very good about sending free replacement parts when I've need them. But that's been a few years too. If the price is reasonable then it would make a fun project. Good luck.