Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

for the newbies (like me!!!)

3quartertime

I am an absolute newbie when it comes to IPSC competition.  I have a grand total of 2 matches and completely walked the first one on the recommendation of the RO.  Having two kids in college is the only thing keeping me from getting more involved right now.  (Tuition is expensive, tuitionX2 just plain sucks!)  As for my gun, it is a stock Combat Commander.  I plan to get much more involved this spring, so I will say thanks in advance for the help that this forum obviously provides to us newbies!

TommyC

If you read through the past posts that is as good as 2 years experiences of shooting. You still need practice, to improve, but these posts are by good shooters who know how to get better and avoid mistakes. Thats how it will accelerate your development. I had to learn by doing, sometimes the wrong things, or having people that know nothing, expertly coach me into poor performance. Gook luck and welcome.

TommyC - Welcome and keep it up; good to see someone overcome adversity (as in University tuition x2!) to come out and shoot our sport.  

If cost is a consideration; let me pass on the ways I save $$$ shooting .45 (I assume the CC is a .45):

About the least expensive powders to use are Tightgroup from Hodgdon or Promo (which is really just a form of Red-dot - check w/ company for free data). Both of these are ditry but they are failly fast and will work OK - not great but OK. I pay a little more for Clays in 4 and 8 lb jugs. Its clean and works GREAT.

I personally do not like lead reloading bullets for  many reasons but at least one BE'er in the NW used to buy lead .45 for something like $15 to $20 thousand. Buffalo bullets comes to mind - anyone recall who the was? Shooter Grrrrl maybe?

I work at a range and get brass for free, but even if you are just a customer, you could ask an indoor range and they might give you a bucket to sort out the .45 if you promise to bring back the rest. I have even reloaded the steel cased Russian Wolf stuff once - it tends to split after more than two reloadings but will otherwise work in a pinch.

I buy my corncob or walnut media at feed stores for a lot less than mail order or gun stores. At big USPSA matches, you will often find Win LP primers for $70 for 5000 and powder without the haz-mat fee; many dealers will take pre-match orders and deliver without the haz-mat on powder and primers.

Regards, D.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

First let me say that I found this forum about a week ago and have not done anything since then except read the forum and go to work. All this info has my head spinning.

I purchased a Springfield XD-9(My only pistol) in Oct. I have not shot in any format other than just target shooting(about 800 rds). My friend told me about an IDPA match at his gun club so with a purchase of a  holster and mag clip I'm headed there Sunday. I watched a match there last month and have been anxiously awaiting this one. Oh yeah, its Central Florida Rifle and Pistol club.

I going there to have fun and to get to know the people. If most shooters are anything like the people on this forum I know it will be a good time and a learning experience.  

Poobear,

Welcome aboard.

Your XD will work well for you in USPSA Production divison also.

And, speaking of watching matches, Frank Garcia's Florida Open match is coming up in February (7- 8- 9).

You'd get a chance to watch some USPSA Master s and Grand Masters perform some amazing shooting.

http://www.frankgarciausa.com/flaopen/main.html

Flex, I don,t know to much about USPSA but thanks for clueing me in on the Florida Open. Turns out That its only  a little over an hour away. Being that I'm still very new to this sport, would it be good for me to go to one of Frank's shooting classes right away or should I get some shooting under my belt so that I might have a bit more comprehention of shooting in general befor I go.

Thanks in advance

Starting brand new...I'd say get to a class right away.

Having a pro show you the basics of proper grip and stance (check out the tips on Matt Burkett's site) will help out tremendously.  It will save you lots of practice ammo.

Grip & Stance

Calling the shot & follow thru

When to reload

how to move

Sounds ease, but there can be some major hurdles in there.

Flex,

Thanks for the info. Now I,ve got to decide whether to do the 2 day 4 student class or the one day private lesson.

Shot my first match today and was the first shooter on all the stages. I asked to do it that way. I figured I could go through the stages first doing it the way I thought it should be done then compare my way to the others. Also didn't have to sit there and think about how to do, just went and done it.

My only real bad spot of the day was weak hand only string. Got a mike on that one. I was hitting low on most if not all of the targets. Went to the plinking range after the match and found that I was looking at the target and not the sight. Shot 80 rds after that and was hitting the 0 area.

Have plenty to work on. Weak hand and Strong hand only seem to be the biggest problem.

One thing I really like about this is how immediately improvement can be seen. I understand that the better you get the harder it is for big improvement but for now I'm quite happy with my preformance. Man I could talk about this all day but I have got to go watch some football.

Thanks again for the info and for this whole forum, its made me realize that this not just a sport, it is a fun sport.

• 5 months later...

I did Police combat courses back in the earily 70's with a S&W Model 10, .38 spl.

Then went into silhouette shooting in the late 70's earily 80's using a Dan Wesson .357 mag.

Then by mid 80's got interested in precision rifle shooting.

Now I'm planning on starting the 3 gun tac matches using my Bushy AR15, SA 1911-A1 and Benelli M1 Tac.

Need to learn a lot more.

Salute! Brian and Friends

Some time ago I did begin visit this forum, I'm a Shooter from Brasil and my English isn't very nice but I can understand u! :blink:

Here I can learn some trick to improve my drill.

My Gun is one SVI in 0.40" with barrel from LimCat (TSC) in Stand Div.

My Hobby is a Air Combat Sim.

Only to say Hallowwwww :rolleyes:

DVC!

I shoot a Kimber Gold Match for steel when misses cost a lot of points. I shoot a Glock M35 when I hose. The Kimber has a modified guide rod spring (12 lb) a Wilson Combat mag well and Hogue grips. My M35 has had a trigger job (2 lb), plastic mag well and stippled grip. I also shoot a Bushmaster AR with a modified trigger (2 1/2 lb), 20 " barrel with a muzzle brake. For shotgun I use a Benelli M90 with a trigger job (2 lb) 21" barrel and some work done to the slide to allow one extra round to be loaded. The key I found was to just have fun. The equipment can cost you a lot of money but if you just take your time it will not break the bank. Remember "Poco de Poco". :D

Jim

• 7 months later...