Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 super bulge

Garmil

Really neither. Just went and measured some well used brass. Got a some with bulge area at .386-.387. They still work and you do have tool and operator error

SAAMI max is .384

Is that supposed to make me feel good or bad?

I would just take the SAAMI spec as the industry reference point. You need to load for your gun. It is easy to get caught up in the academics/numbers...but what counts is does your loads work for you, are they reliable and are they accurate.

As a reference for you I just checked some fired .38 super cased from my schumann barrels and they measure 0.387-. 0388". Using a U-die the cases resize back to about 0.382".

Unless you are worried about setback, I would just use that Lee standard sizer you ordered and not worry about it. Having a loose chamber isn't always a bad thing. As I mentioned, that upper would run anything I put into the chamber and it was reliable, and it was accurate. There is a lot to be said for that.

(edit to add - OK I see that BSeevers posted similar info at about the same time...but of course he was faster. ;) )

Edited by Bamboo

Oh yeah not worried at all about the function of the upper, just thinking about brass life since cases are not cheap. Found this picture on 38super.net figure 2 looks a lot like my brass and is considered normal by that guy who has tons of good info on that site. I agree with the regular sizing die I should be okay fired brass will likely be the same but the amount the brass stretches every time will be reduced.

post-56194-0-42039000-1451702431_thumb.j

Garmil :

I'm at .3910 with my 38 SC brass, along with a few others I talked to, and we're still able to reload a decent amount of times.

The Tanfoglio 38 barrels are just not as tight as others. We try and keep an eye on our brass and we just keep shooting.