Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W mainsprings

stardust tommy

I have a few mainsprings... original, original but the top end bended more forward, Wilson, Wolff reduced power

they all work just fine, only with the original mainspring with full tension the trigger won't reset. the rebound spring is a cut down and thinned 11lbs Wolff, to test te reset. I normaly shoot with a stock 11lbs (I'm shooting PPC with K-frame revolvers). if the trigger resets on the cut down spring is will reset with a original 11lbs

I've always shot with the reduced power Wolff, few weaks back I tested a tuned 686 with an original mainspring but not at full tension and the action was verry light and smooth compared with my mod10 with a 5.5lbs DA trigger.

the 686 is a L frame compared to my K, and the 686 had a trausch grip, mine a Bill Davis or a Hougue

wich is your mainspring for competition use and why?

gr T

Seems like we already talked about this this week, but most just use the factory springs, modified to their preference.

+1 After a while, you end up with a bag full of various spring types. I use the stock spring and put a bend in it as needed to get the spring force I want. As for rebound springs: you can buy bags full of all different weights and then end up trying to figure out which is what when you take one out.... or you can do what I do: I just use the standard spring and snip it off as short as I need to reduce the spring force. That way all I have to do is measure the length and I know how strong it is.

I like to keep things simple.

I am sure that modifying the spring is great for those knowledgeable, but I just received an R8. The trigger pull was on the heavy side of "barely acceptable", as in, near whiteknuckle for the DA pull.

Replaced with a Wolff mainspring and a 13 lb rebound spring and it is suddenly much more acceptable... the stacking feeling is gone and it's much easier to pull.

Now just to make sure it sets off all my primers! It's fine if I have to stick to federals I suppose, though.

I am sure that modifying the spring is great for those knowledgeable, but I just received an R8. The trigger pull was on the heavy side of "barely acceptable", as in, near whiteknuckle for the DA pull.

Replaced with a Wolff mainspring and a 13 lb rebound spring and it is suddenly much more acceptable... the stacking feeling is gone and it's much easier to pull.

Now just to make sure it sets off all my primers! It's fine if I have to stick to federals I suppose, though.

I have found that the Wolf reduced power mainsprings will light just about anything as long as the strain screw is not shortened or worn off at the tip.