Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newbie starting reloading

yz125mm700

I finally figured out after getting a case gage for .40 that the range brass had lots of issues with it, so I am springing for a push through sizing die to run stuff through first, and then putting it on the dillon.

Had issues with AOL in my glock and realized the 1.135 is the max not the minimum, running like 1.126 or so now. If it hangs in the mag, its bad.

For the crimp I take just a case and bullet, run it through the cycle and then pull the bullet and see if I impressed the groove into the bullet, adjust so its not deformed and then do press the bullet into the side of the workbench. This is my current recipe for reloading but I am not the smartest tool in the shed so help me if I am off base. As you can imagine the bullet puller is my friend now.

There are a lot of us here loading for 2011 platforms so just reading the threads I can see how one might think 1.135 was min OAL. Actually the SAMMI spec is OAL of 1.085 to 1.135 OAL.

http://www.saami.org/pubresources/cc_drawings/Pistol/40%20SandW.pdf

Daft - I don't know what you're using for a press or dies but many here use the EGW U die with good success, rather than add the extra step of push thru sizing. Also make sure you have your current die going down as far as possible. A couple of "turns" down on the sizing die makes a big difference. ;) Also rather than pulling bullets and checking for damage for determining "crimp". You could use the measured bullet diameter plus 2 times the case wall thickness, should be close. :D

Edited by Chutist

Had issues with AOL in my glock and realized the 1.135 is the max not the minimum, running like 1.126 or so now. If it hangs in the mag, its bad.

What G-lock was that for?factory mags? I'm only curious Cuz I'm loading blue bullets at 1.14-1.15 and they seem to cycle through the mag fine. Also, what variance do you see for over all length while loading? I seem to get that .01 variance, normal?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

g35, factory mags only,with stiffer springs. Not sure on the variance.

Dillon press with Dillon carbide dies. Chutist, I will look at the EGW U die. As is the sizing die is all the way down to almost touching. Thanks guys!

I use starline brass and it does okay, but its the range brass that will not pass the gage.

I've had some nasty failures to feed in my last batch where the round "stuck" on the ring the stock Dillon die left on once fired .40 fired from Glock 22's. This caused me to research the sizing options and also examine my own set up. I found LOTS of folks using the EGW U die.

I also found I was able to get my Stock Dillon die down a bit more and I tightened my shell plate a bit. I got better alignment when the case entered the die and that MAY have been my issue. I could also see the difference in that the case was sized farther down and no cases with the ring.

100 round test (all Glock fired) gave me NO cases that stuck. I still may get a "U" die but I'm good to go for now.

It just reaffirmed that the little details add up. ;)

Edited by Chutist

There are a lot of us here loading for 2011 platforms so just reading the threads I can see how one might think 1.135 was min OAL. Actually the SAMMI spec is OAL of 1.085 to 1.135 OAL.

http://www.saami.org/pubresources/cc_drawings/Pistol/40%20SandW.pdf

Daft - I don't know what you're using for a press or dies but many here use the EGW U die with good success, rather than add the extra step of push thru sizing. Also make sure you have your current die going down as far as possible. A couple of "turns" down on the sizing die makes a big difference. ;) Also rather than pulling bullets and checking for damage for determining "crimp". You could use the measured bullet diameter plus 2 times the case wall thickness, should be close. :D

Switching to the egw u dies on my 650 for 40 & 45 toolheads. ? Are you still using your Dillon dies for the seating and crimp. Being my guess is those are ok.

Yes, dillon carbide dies. I know some take the dillon sizing die and grind it down to get it all the way down, did not think of tightening the shell plate as well. The push through die runs twice the cost of the EGW, so I will try that first. A lot to learn about reloading!

Now what about the Lee bulge buster. Is that the same thing as a push through die. Been reading about the egw u die and people are saying that it crushes a lot of cases. That they use the bulge buster on a single stage then run it through the Dillon resizing die for match reloads. Seems like this method maybe better on the quality of Ammo. Don't want to get egw if it's gonna crush cases.

Kinda confused is the Lee u die the same thing as a bulge buster. And for the guys running the bulge buster first than using Dillon die in 650 while loading is it doing the same thing as a u die. Because some are using the egw than a Dillon size die after?

That they use the bulge buster on a single stage then run it through the Dillon resizing die for match reloads. Seems like this method maybe better on the quality of Ammo.

That's the way I chose to do it.

Kinda confused is the Lee u die the same thing as a bulge buster. And for the guys running the bulge buster first than using Dillon die in 650 while loading is it doing the same thing as a u die. Because some are using the egw than a Dillon size die after?

The EGW U die is a Lee die (may or may not be the "same" as the Lee U die) It a special size die set up to go farther down the case - it replaces the standard sizing die.

The GRX and the Bulge buster are a completely different deal. They are a push through die, the case goes all the way thought the die so the brass is sized it's entire length. I'd guess that's "better" but it adds an additional step to process EACH case though the die before you go to the progressive reloader.

Not me but here's a VERY detailed demo of the GRX:

At this point, I'm willing to let a EGW U die smash a case, if it's that far out I don't want to reuse it anyway.

The EGW U die is a Lee die (may or may not be the "same" as the Lee U die) It a special size die set up to go farther down the case - it replaces the standard sizing die.

The GRX and the Bulge buster are a completely different deal. They are a push through die, the case goes all the way thought the die so the brass is sized it's entire length. I'd guess that's "better" but it adds an additional step to process EACH case though the die before you go to the progressive reloader.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcUh9LgqGV0

At this point, I'm willing to let a EGW U die smash a case, if it's that far out I don't want to reuse it anyway.

Yep found that vid last night. Thanks. Think I gonna go with the grx die. Only gonna be doing it for match Ammo for competition so I don't mind doing the extra step knowing it's gonna be right the first time.

If not mention yet. Highly recommend Lee factory crimp

Die.

It's basically resizes the entire Bullet after seated and crimps. Gets rid of the glock bulge and greatly reduces the chances rounds not chambering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcUh9LgqGV0

Yep found that vid last night. Thanks. Think I gonna go with the grx die. Only gonna be doing it for match Ammo for competition so I don't mind doing the extra step knowing it's gonna be right the first time.

I think that's not a bad plan, I'm considering it myself. ;) What I'd like to see is a push though die that I could feed with a Dillon case feeder! :D

The GRX is nice but have split two of the carbide versions. I noticed a line in the brass, then inspected the die. found the hairline crack. They replaced it once. Been running 10 mm lubed cases through it.

Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but glock mags tend to get touchy with feeding out passed the 1.14x realm. Thats at least my experience. I keep them in the 1.135 realm. With that, they feed in pretty much anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk