Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help with barrel choice

mwinter501

Greetings all,

I'm seeking help with choosing a barrel for my current build. I have scoured the interwebs and just can't come to a conclusion myself.

I'm on a swat team and have gotten tired of my current rifle configuration. I have a 10.5" Noveske barrel with an AAC SDN6 suppressor on the end. It runs great but gets crazy dirty (despite having a tuned, adjustable gas system). I finally realized that a suppressor isn't as practical for my purposes and I'm really getting tired of my rifle getting caked with fouling after a few magazines of practice. I'm also getting tired of the weight - the barrel and suppressor alone weigh 44oz. I get really tired on deliberate searches where I'm holding the rifle at high port for hours.

So, this brings me to my conundrum. I'm looking at the following two barrels:

- 16" Noveske with intermediate gas

http://mstn.biz/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=b-novsig&cat=6&page=1&search=&since=&status=&title=

- 14.5" JP ultralight with mid-length gas

http://jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPSM223-14.5UL8M

My current rifle is very soft shooting which I value highly. I'm trying to strike as good of a balance of lightweight and soft shooting as I can. Usually I can come to a decision after a few weeks, but I just can't get there. The shorter length and lighter weight of the JP barrel would be great, but the softer shooting Noveske would also be good and I could always turn the barrel down to a different profile when it gets here. I'd like to get the opinion of the folks here to help me make my decision. As far as the barrel goes, how light is too light?

Here's the rest of my parts list if someone needs it:

-BAD lightweight upper/lower receiver set

-SLR adjustable gas block

-SLR Ion ultralight 13.7" rail

-JPSCS buffer assembly

-Magpul UBR stock (heavy, I know, but really robust and I'm familiar with it)

- Geiselle Tricon trigger

- Aimpoint T2

I really appreciate everyone's help.

Edited by mwinter501

Give the Stretch16 barrels a good look. The fluted models could save you even more weight

I've never heard of them (doesn't mean anything). Do they have a good reputation? I looked at the fluted version and it would only be saving around 4oz which, while it is improvement, probably wouldn't be enough for me to feel comfortable moving from a manufacturer I know and trust to an unknown.

When I design/sketch defense rifle ideas, I never consider using an adjustable gas block. Is this for a LE "work" gun?

Yes, it is for a work gun. I had the same reservations when building my last rifle. I knew it would be suppressed almost all of the time so I decided to give the SLR adjustable gas block a try because the design looked like it would be darn near impossible for it to move on its own. I feel comfortable using it again after using that gas block for a few years and around 12k rounds without any issues.

Thanks everyone for the help! I really appreciate it

Give the Stretch16 barrels a good look. The fluted models could save you even more weight

I've never heard of them (doesn't mean anything). Do they have a good reputation? I looked at the fluted version and it would only be saving around 4oz which, while it is improvement, probably wouldn't be enough for me to feel comfortable moving from a manufacturer I know and trust to an unknown.

They are quickly gaining popularity, especially with the 3Gun crowd. It's a very high quality barrel - Stretch Precision guarantees sub MOA @ 100 w good ammo. Search around the forums as there is a good thread on them

Have you seen the JP program to back up LE users that have their rifles impounded as evidence in Officer Involved Shootings? Ah, here it is. Called "We've Got Your Back" (http://jprifles.com/1.2.4_LE.php)

Given that program, perhaps calling them up for a design consultation might be in order? If you go with one they build you would have coverage if you ever had to use it in the line of duty. I don't know how the prices would come out for that option compared to the other ways we have been discussing. I bet something like John Paul used in the past year or so in this video (

) might be of interest. That concept expanded into a written piece about 5.56mm SBRs this summer (http://blog.shooting-performance.com/john-paul-the-subject-matter-expert-on-short-barreled-rifles-sbrs/).

Whichever way you go, I hope it serves you well and faithfully. Be safe.

Have you seen the JP program to back up LE users that have their rifles impounded as evidence in Officer Involved Shootings? Ah, here it is. Called "We've Got Your Back" (http://jprifles.com/1.2.4_LE.php)

Given that program, perhaps calling them up for a design consultation might be in order? If you go with one they build you would have coverage if you ever had to use it in the line of duty. I don't know how the prices would come out for that option compared to the other ways we have been discussing. I bet something like John Paul used in the past year or so in this video (

) might be of interest. That concept expanded into a written piece about 5.56mm SBRs this summer (http://blog.shooting-performance.com/john-paul-the-subject-matter-expert-on-short-barreled-rifles-sbrs/).

Whichever way you go, I hope it serves you well and faithfully. Be safe.

It's funny you mention both the program and the article. Myself and another firearms instructor use the info from that article to dissuade most people from getting a SBR and it's partly why I'm going away from it. JP is one of my favorite companies and I took advantage of their "we got your back" program when I ordered my LRP07 from them earlier in the year. I just don't have the cash for a full build from them and wanted specific items I didn't feel right asking them to build with (receiver, hand guard, gas block, etc). Getting people around here to consider their rifles is REALLY difficult. It seems people associate anything in the firearms industry that has any focus toward competition shooting as being sub-par. My experience has been quite to the contrary and is why I spend most of my time lurking on this forum more than others.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Edited by mwinter501