Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Second gun? (Division related)

The old adage one gun is none ,two guns is one, I'm firm believer in two or more

That's pretty much how I feel.

The gun shop around the corner from my house is an STI dealer. They didn't have any single stacks, but I had a Marauder in my hand for quite a while, and didn't really want to leave it behind. It's a 9mm only so that helped!

I am realizing I need to see/feel/experience more before making any decisions. I'm also looking at the option of sharing a slide between 2 frames (1911 and 2011). If I had funds for 2 guns it would be much easier :) Having my Sig back in hand takes some of the edge off, too. Nothing has been wrong with it, I've just had some changes/modifications done.

Either way, I'm looking at a .40 something-or-other. Part of it is whatever we get out of buying something new and another 9mm 1911 seems to take away from that a little. A .40 would give me something new to try (caliber, power factor, even L10 division if it doesn't go away).

Edited by StraightSh00ter

The old adage one gun is none ,two guns is one, I'm firm believer in two or more

That's pretty much how I feel.

The gun shop around the corner from my house is an STI dealer. They didn't have any single stacks, but I had a Marauder in my hand for quite a while, and didn't really want to leave it behind. It's a 9mm only so that helped!

I am realizing I need to see/feel/experience more before making any decisions. I'm also looking at the option of sharing a slide between 2 frames (1911 and 2011). If I had funds for 2 guns it would be much easier :) Having my Sig back in hand takes some of the edge off, too. Nothing has been wrong with it, I've just had some changes/modifications done.

Either way, I'm looking at a .40 something-or-other. Part of it is whatever we get out of buying something new and another 9mm 1911 seems to take away from that a little. A .40 would give me something new to try (caliber, power factor, even L10 division if it doesn't go away).

Nice to have an performance gun dealer near by,not any I know of in Colorado Springs,

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

No clue why bull barrels are in. I have a Kimber pro carry with a bull barrel and luv it one when it's shot in rapid secession during drills or scenarios, barrel gets hot I feel accuracy stays the course compared straight barrels

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

If you are going to travel to matches and spend good amount of monies doing that get 2 guns as close as possible hopefully identical so if something happen you won't notice it. Most athlete in any sports have perfect copies backup in case of issues you should have the same I know I am doing so.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If you reloaded, the obvious choice would be a 1911 in 40 S&W, as you are already playing in Single Stack. Only problem with this is, once you start reloading and go major, your 9mm 1911 will see little use. Still, I say a 1911 40S&W.

Why do you say that? Why would his 9mm 1911 see little use? I LOVE mine.

If you have the money, there is nothing wrong with a back-up gun. I used to have one and I never needed it. So I sold it to use the funds for other things. I'm not sure I understand why you would want to shoot major in Limited, but minor in Single Stack. If you're ready for another gun, I would go ahead with the Limited build for 40 major. I guarantee you once you start shooting stages without having to reload every time you move, you 're going to have a lot more fun!! just my 2 cents......

I can tell you why you'd want to shoot minor in single stack--a 25% difference in capacity!! I have been shooting minor single stack since 2011, before it was cool. Not only do I love shooting 9mm, which is cheap and soft shooting, the 10 rounds do pay off, and it forces you to focus on your accuracy. At a local match especially where there's no prizes for winning, I am a huge fan of my 9mm 1911.

I really could just shoot a major gun all the time if I wanted to, but at this point I'm not even convinced it's an advantage at all, and if so, it's so minimal it's not even worth the cost.

Edited by twodownzero

I ended up getting a 'cheap' 9mm - I didn't want to spend a lot of money on another 9mm 1911. But the more I shoot my Sig the more I wish I got another one. Having a different gun kind of sucks - there are some slight differences, including weight, which make transitioning not smooth at all. Sig has an amazing value with their 1911 Match Elite.

On a good note, I believe I can get a .40 barrel and extractor for my Sig since the breech is cut for .40. But, like mentioned above I like the extra capacity. Also the top shooters don't shoot all Alpha-Charley so focusing on better hits now will only help me.