Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

buddy moving to CA, questions about bringing guns

Hey all,

my buddy is moving to California for work (Dentist with the air force) and we're trying to figure out what of his shooting stuff he's allowed to bring in, and what he's not. Also trying to determine if it's worth it to change his AR into a CA legal version or just have him buy one when he gets there. I've been reading up on Calguns and some other places for him, but figured you guys would know the ins and outs much better than internet commandos. I'm in Texas and not leaving for the foreseeable future. I would be happy to hold on to some of his stuff or at least help him sell whatever he can't take.

He has

1) Stag Model 3. not on the appendix list, but has flash hider, pistol grip, threaded barrel, collapsable stock

2) S&W M&P 22. looks like above, but it's a 22. is that legal?

3) Remington 870. Holds 6 rounds

4) Springfield TRP. no threaded barrel and has 7 and 10 round mags. that's good, right?

5) Ruger LCP. I know he won't get CC over there so might not be worth keeping around

6) random S&W 40. One of those older ones, not sure on make or mag capacity

He wants:

In the future he wants an M&P and Glock. Can he still buy that over there or is it easier to bring one in?

Thanks for the help!

Hey all,

my buddy is moving to California for work (Dentist with the air force) and we're trying to figure out what of his shooting stuff he's allowed to bring in, and what he's not. Also trying to determine if it's worth it to change his AR into a CA legal version or just have him buy one when he gets there. I've been reading up on Calguns and some other places for him, but figured you guys would know the ins and outs much better than internet commandos. I'm in Texas and not leaving for the foreseeable future. I would be happy to hold on to some of his stuff or at least help him sell whatever he can't take.

He has

1) Stag Model 3. not on the appendix list, but has flash hider, pistol grip, threaded barrel, collapsable stock

2) S&W M&P 22. looks like above, but it's a 22. is that legal?

3) Remington 870. Holds 6 rounds

4) Springfield TRP. no threaded barrel and has 7 and 10 round mags. that's good, right?

5) Ruger LCP. I know he won't get CC over there so might not be worth keeping around

6) random S&W 40. One of those older ones, not sure on make or mag capacity

He wants:

In the future he wants an M&P and Glock. Can he still buy that over there or is it easier to bring one in?

Thanks for the help!

Feel sorry for your Buddy,if its in or near major city, good luck, Calif is no longer a US state

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Hi there,

It takes some filtering but CalGuns can be a good source of info. The flow charts are pretty good. Now to your questions:

0) Have you buddy join the forum!
1) He will have to change out the mag release with a "Bullet Button" or equivalent. He can only have/use 10 round mags.
2) Gun (rimfire) OK, no > 10 round mags.
3) Cool
4) Cool
5) Cool
6) Guns cool, no > 10 round mags.

Some other thoughts:

Do not rule out the possibility of getting a CCW. There is stuff going on that made it possible in places that were not at one time.

Check into California Penal Code section 27560 for new residents

Since you can bring off-roster guns into the state, one might consider bringing in some STI frames or such with the intent of having guns built. If for some reason the guns cannot be built, the frames can be sold via Private Party Transfer. Frames and off-roster handguns go for premium prices.

Where will he be stationed? We can get him hooked up with some local shooters...

Later,

Chuck

ETA: Standard disclaimer: I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.

Edited by ChuckS

Chuck,

Thanks for the info. With that AR, won't he have to get a non-threaded barrel and one of those weird stocks too?

The bullet button & 10 round mag allows the use of evil features such as a pistol grip. The weird stocks allow for what is typically called a "featureless" built which allows the use of legally-owned hi cap mags. Good point on the threaded barrel. May need to pin/weld the comp or change the barrel to something more appropriate. He can posses the barrel, just can't have it on the gun. Again, use the flow charts on CalGuns to understand the configurations.

Later,

Chuck

PS: Folks may advise that nobody cares about mags or threaded barrels. Listen with caution... a commission/clearance could be at risk...

He can bring in anything he wants, but there are requirements to fulfill once you get here. Chuck pretty much lined it out. Also he has 60 days to register the weapons with the DOJ, use this form. CCW is possible in CA, lt mostly depends on the county you reside in. LA and SF are pretty much no go, and the counties that issue usually require a 1 year residency. And your friend lives on base, that's probably a no go also.

And yea, bring in all the STI frames you can afford, might as well make some $$$ if you have to move.

https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/forms/ab991frm.pdf?

Edited by 9x45

CA has safe transport laws. All guns have to be locked in containers, or with DOJ approved locks. The trunk of a car is considered secured (cannot be entered from the back seat), but the pistols and Stag have to locked anyway. The ammo must be separate. The issue here is that not all agencies know all the rules. So if you are pulled over, and they ask do you have any weapons? Don't lie about it unless you want to go to jail, and have all your guns seized and your vehicle impounded. Personally, I would have him leave the Stag, or remove and replace the folding stock, put a Monster Man grip on and put the bullet button on. If possible have all your original paper work for each weapon. And a letter from your new CO that states you are bringing in these weapons to "your next base" and you are complying with all CA weapons laws according to the DOJ.

Yes, he can bring in a Glock or M&P, but no high capacity magazines.

At best, transport for assault weapons is not crystal clear.

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/travel

http://smartgunlaws.org/california-state-law-summary/

Edited by 9x45