Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most Accurate .357 Jacketed Projectile

underlug

I'm sure the fit of the bullet to a specific barrel is at least as important as the intrinsic or potential accuracy of the projectile itself; but I can report that in my .357's, the most accurate I've found is Hornady's XTP Flat Point 158 gr. It's capable of groups sizes of close to an inch at 100 yards out of my Marlin 1894c, which is better than anything else I've tried by at least 50%.

I haven't found a significant difference among handgun bullets, though that might be a function of my shooting ability rather than one of bullet accuracy. :(

If you're planning on using them in competiton, I've found that the Remington bulk JHPs are the best in terms of speedloading due to the nose shape. I've mostly used the Zero bullets due to price, but will probably go back to the Remingtons.

Chris - one inch groups from a lever gun? Smokin'! :)

Chris - one inch groups from a lever gun?  Smokin'!  :)

Yeah, that little Marlin surprised the hell out of me. I'm just not a good enough handgun shooter for the difference between the Hornady and the type of bullets you mention to matter out of my revolvers; but if I were, my carbine experience would lead me to try Hornady bullets first (though perhaps I'd start with an HP rather than the FP).

As it is, fiddling with bullet brands in a handgun would be just one more transparent way for me to try to cover the fact I that can't pull the damn trigger without moving the sights around! ;)

I am just trying to eliminate as many variables as possible for some 50 yard shots I am going to have to take in a competition. I am just as interested in jacketed projectiles that have been found to be inaccurate. When I start weighing the babies within a particular brand, I'll know I've gone over the edge. The bullets will be exiting a Smith revolver if that influences any responses.

I've read a few reloading manuals in the past and apparently some people were of the thought that the 140 gr hollow points were inherently the most accurate out of the various 357 revolvers. I'm not sure what the criteria was, maybe it was a balance between the heavier 158's and the lighter flatter 125's.

I do know that the hollow based wadcutters moving at about 700-750 fps are supposed to be the most accurate for 50 yard bulleyes shooting, but I've found that some makes are too soft and gunk up my barrel readily. Another choice would be one of the double end wadcutters or button nosed ones, since if you are just shooting paper to 50 yards, these have been considered the best thing for bullseye.

If you are trying to play the IPSC game, then the wadcutters aren't what you want since these will tumble or keyhole when shot at higher velocities. I have heard that the HBWC's will come apart at velocities of the 357 magnum. I think 3.3 gr of bullseye is a common load for 148 gr hbwc's in a 38 spl case. I believe the Speer manual has the same or similar listing for the longer 357 Mag case. I also believe that there is at least 1 manufacturer that makes plated wadcutters. Maybe Berry's?

Vince

I am just trying to eliminate as many variables as possible for some 50 yard shots I am going to have to take in a competition.  I am just as interested in jacketed projectiles that have been found to be inaccurate.  When I start weighing the babies within a particular brand, I'll know I've gone over the edge.  The bullets will be exiting a Smith revolver if that influences any responses.

What's the competition?

I am just trying to eliminate as many variables as possible for some 50 yard shots I am going to have to take in a competition.  I am just as interested in jacketed projectiles that have been found to be inaccurate.  When I start weighing the babies within a particular brand, I'll know I've gone over the edge.  The bullets will be exiting a Smith revolver if that influences any responses.

What's the competition?

ICORE (standards, primarily)

What's the competition?

ICORE (standards, primarily)

Generally in ICORE, a round nose is preferred since it goes into the gun the easiest. Jerry M Uses 170 grain Sierra FMJ's. Of course he only shoots about 1k every year to get ready for the ICORE match, in 3-gun he generally shoots open. I know because we asked him when he held a class for us locally. His reason for 170's was, make gravity work for you, the heavier it is, the better to go into the cylinder.

When I shoot ICORE, I use a 610 and load 180 gr RNFP bullets since I can't find a good jacketed round nose that I can shoot a lot of. A lot of ICORE 38/357 shooters go with either a moly coated 158 or plated/jacketed 158 round nose. Since you are shooting ICORE, you only need to make 120-125 power factor.

Vince

• 2 weeks later...