Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR-15 Technique / Videos

ryan77

I want to "start over" as far as my approach to shooting technique on AR-15s for 3gun. I have been shooting "Costa-like" stance, squred up with butstock inside shoulder and slightly hunched, I am having issues getting the red dot on target to start with and follow up shots. I have good strength and think it is a technique issue. Just watched the jerry miculek videos which were helpful. I was curious if there were other approachs or videos?

I just shot my 4th 3gun match. The first was about 2 years ago I have manged to go from 59th (a couple slots off the bottom), to 36th, to 16th overall. Last match hasn't been scored yet. My rifle portion performance is really bad. I had bought a JM 930 the day before the first match and shot 25 rounds before the match and never picked up again for training (just the matches) but the shotgun portions seem to carry me through the match for whatever reason. I switched from a Glock to EAA Witness for the last two matches and seemed do well on those portions also. I was taught weaver stance early on and realize that is probably a bad idea also. I'm having both accuracy and speed problems on the AR, and they are much worse at the match than in training. I'm shooting a Suppressed SBR, that had a red dot. However I am doing good on on the distance shots, we are limited in range length so we shoot 8" steel plates at 160-200yds typically at a awkward position. I am struggling on the close to 50yd standing shots. I do have a 16" gas regulated middy with a brake, A5 buffer system, and AR Gold trigger, but am not shooting much better with it in practice. I am limited to useing Griffin QD brakes b/c of suppressor use. These don't the upward or top ports like the Miculek or Bennie Comps most of the others were using, they are just a standard 2 side port brake.

First off, are you sure there is not a problem with your rifle? Lock it in with bags and make sure it is shooting well. After that, without watching you shoot, it would be hard to diagnose a specific problem. I would suggest shooting without a brake at all to start. A brake can induce some bad habits like flinch unless you are seasoned. Either keep the silencer, (assuming its accurate and not causing a problem) or double plug. If I were you I would start with prone and seated positional shooting and REALLY focus on the fundamentals of breathing, sight picture/alignment and trigger control. Integrate this live fire with LOTS of dryfire (unless you have lots of money to burn in ammo). Dryfire a ton while standing and using other barricade type structures. Watch your sights for movement during your dryfire routine. Also practice getting your heart rate up then standing dryfire. For long range shots, standing square to the target is not the most effective. When I am shooting anything smaller than 8 MOA or so I quarter away form the target and prop my elbow into my hip while leaning back a bit (watch a few NRA highpower or silhouette shooting videos on standing offhand).

• 4 weeks later...