Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 History?

So I've picked up 2 more 1050s, apparently this is a disease. One is an RL and one is a Super, and the RL is totally different than my current RL. This new (to me) one appears to be similar to the ones Angus has shown in some of his videos, where the dowel pins are actually in a bearing race and there is no C-clip holding the race in place.

So does anyone have a good history on the 1050s? I'd like to see how they started and where they are now.

The earliest RL1050s uses a caged transmission bearing. This became excessively expensive, resulting in the change to dowel pins and a raceway. The early ones were electroless nickel-plated as well. Then this was changed to the parkerized finish still in use on the Super 1050s.

Ok, interesting, I will take some photos when I get a chance to show what I am talking about.

You'd previously mentioned the dowel pins were 5/8 in length, did you mean the ones in the caged transmission bearing because the ones I have in the other 1050 are a lot longer than that.