Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti 38 Super To 9mm?

GlockSpeed31

Unless you have been shooting one of the rimless variants of 38 super, you will probably want to replace the extractor or at least tune it to the 9x19 case.

I'm not sure which springs it is that you think you might want to change but I do not think that you will need to change any of them.

The biggest problem is with the magazines. SVI tubes are fine but if you are running STI tubes, you should probably call Beven @ Grams Eng. and find out the hot setup to make them 100% reliable.

I just changed from a .38 super to a 9mm. Apart from the barrel you may also want to change the ejector and possibly the extractor -- see if the gun ejects right first.

The trickiest part is the mags and the bullets. Some people use SVI mags without a spacer and others use one. STI mags will probably need a spacer (check with Grams Engineering). If you use STI mags with a spacer the OAL will be crucial-- over 1.170 and the bullets get stuck in the tube. Finding the right load may be also a little tricky but there are some good loads on this site -- I use 124 gr. JHP MG with 7.6 gr. Tru Blu at a 1.60 OAL

The 9mm can be a little dicey to run right so plan on spending some time working out the bugs. On the other hand, maybe you'll get lucky and you won't have any problems.

My Para Open gun is getting that changover right now. I had already shot some Major 9 loads out of it using the 38 Super barrel and they fed and ejected fine. Even without changing the extractor or the 11lb spring. But then I also shoot SuperComp in it without ever changing the extractor either. So they should work great with the STI Trubore S2 that is getting fitted specifically for 9mm.

I have 9mm Para mags so I should be all set in that respect. I have an STI/PO mag and it works pretty good but does nosedive a round in the mag now and then.

My test load is 7.2 Longshot with a 124 gr Star loaded to 1.165 OAL. Ave PF is 167 in a stock 5" Para P18 9mm. Once the new barrel is in the Open gun, I will have to work it back up again and see where it needs to be.

I just made the switch from super to 9. Caspian high cap. It needed a new slide, so I said why not go 9. Got the gun back from the smith 3-25-05.

Test loads--- 8.1gr SP-2, 124 MG fmj,once fired Win brass OAL 1.160 = 1350fps

8.1gr HS-6 ( same as above )= 1347fps

good luck John

Guest Gunslinger45

You'll want a longer ejector because the feed-lips on the magazine allow the "Bullet" to protrude up sooner while the slide is retracting because the casing is so much shorter and it will "push" the ejected casing up and (in most cases) bang the brass off of the scope mount making your gun a jam-o-matic. The longer ejector will start pushing the spent casing out of the way sooner. Hopefully 9mm Open will get big enough that they will start making mags with longer feed-lips. The extractor will also have to be replaced.