Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry Firing So Much...

diehli

I don't know how I managed this. I've had tons of papers due this week (finals) and, of course, have to take time off to let my brain cool down... they do overheat, ya know. So, I've taken quite a few breaks, dryfiring during that time.

And I've wound up with blisters underneath my calluses... and they hurt... and I can't dryfire 'cause I want them to heal so that I can actually shoot this weekend.

I guess this means I actually have to focus and get this last paper done. Only 18 pages left to write and its due in 15 hours. Cakewalk.... :wacko:

And I've wound up with blisters underneath my calluses... and they hurt... and I can't dryfire 'cause I want them to heal so that I can actually shoot this weekend.

Wimp! :D Those hurt like a b***h.....

Actually, I get blisters under calluses all the time playing drums - esp. when my hands aren't conditioned for the playing I'm engaged in. I haven't played regularly in about 3 months now - I'm expecting some raw spots when I fire up again here soon.

Anyhow - if they're on your palms anywhere, you're pretty much screwed. Get some liquid bandage / liquid skin type stuff and apply over the spots liberally. Sometimes that helps cut down the friction. If they're on your fingers, I like one of the Johnson & Johnson first aid tapes - usually the Waterproof Tape or one of the cloth tapes. Cut off a strip long enough to go around that joint and overlap at least half way. Good as new, once you flex it a few times to get the tape pliable. The only downside to the tape is that it can be a little bit slick at first, compared to your skin. A Band-Aid of some sort can work, too.

You'd like to avoid them cutting open - then you're in for a real "treat". If they *do* break, try to keep the skin as intact as possible - otherwise, you'll be battling very raw skin under the blister, and it'll crack and get nasty painful for a while. You can tough it out, but it ain't fun....

Good luck !!! :)

Anyhow - if they're on your palms anywhere, you're pretty much screwed. Get some liquid bandage / liquid skin type stuff and apply over the spots liberally. Sometimes that helps cut down the friction. If they're on your fingers, I like one of the Johnson & Johnson first aid tapes - usually the Waterproof Tape or one of the cloth tapes. Cut off a strip long enough to go around that joint and overlap at least half way. Good as new, once you flex it a few times to get the tape pliable.  The only downside to the tape is that it can be a little bit slick at first, compared to your skin. A Band-Aid of some sort can work, too.

You'd like to avoid them cutting open - then you're in for a real "treat". If they *do* break, try to keep the skin as intact as possible - otherwise, you'll be battling very raw skin under the blister, and it'll crack and get nasty painful for a while. You can tough it out, but it ain't fun....

Good luck !!! :)

Nothing on the palms. I have one on each of the joints of my middle and ring fingers on my strong (right) hand. The side of the knuckle of my middle finger where it contacts the triggerguard and the side of my index finger knuckle on my left hand where it contacts the serrations on the underside of my triggerguard are both kinda tender, but nothing that bugs like the blisters. My support hand index finger has a HUGE callus on it... actually looks swollen most the time, but I guess slamming it into the triggerguard a buncha times will irritate it.

The main problem is the ring finger second joint blister and the middle finger first joint blister . I took chunks out of both of 'em right after I wrote my original post... whoops. :unsure: I'm one of those quick-healing types, but I'll put some liquid skin on 'em for the weekend. Not real big on the tape thing, though I might try it on the support hand... looks like J.J. Racaza does that.

Thanks for the 411 and support. Just had to bitch a bit. ;) Back to philthosophy papers.

I've got the liquid skin handy but would have to go out and buy the athletic tape... too much work considering I've got to clean the press and load 1000 rounds tomorrow night. I've had bad experiences with tape on cuts. Duct tape used to be one of my favorites on big cuts as a kid... then I hit puberty and sprouted hair everywhere. There're two things I can't handle: paper cuts and yanking out body hair. I'd have to Nair my fingers to use tape on my hands.

Liquid skin is good stuff. Working on motorcycles with latex gloves on makes hands supple and sweaty. Things slip, take chunks out of hands, and then riding with broken-in leather gloves is really uncomfortable. Liquid skin makes it much better... and rarely gets near hair.

The only thing about liquid skin stuff is it tends to come off relatively easily. Other than that, it's a good solution. The tape feels a little awkward, at first, but it'll "wear in" pretty quickly, and you won't notice it anymore - it does depend some on how tight you wrap it, too - I'd say go medium-light on the wrap pressure so it'll give a little more...

Anyhow - good luck ;) Bleeding hands ain't fun, but....... you should see the blood spatter on a couple of my drum heads :) Every once in a while I'll a finger on a tuning lug or something, and then the party's on!!!! :)

Cullen,

If you're shooting a stock STI grip, there are several things you can do. The switch from side grip panel to front strap is a rough one.

The first thing you can do is send your grip off to somebody and have it contoured, alot are now offering it cut to your hand if you send a trace outline of it with the grip. The other is try wraping the front strap with masking tape. I tried did this at Camp Shootout last year when I was shooting a stock grip. You'll want about an inch or so of tape on the side panels of the grip to keep it in place.

The only thing about liquid skin stuff is it tends to come off relatively easily. Other than that, it's a good solution. The tape feels a little awkward, at first, but it'll "wear in" pretty quickly, and you won't notice it anymore - it does depend some on how tight you wrap it, too - I'd say go medium-light on the wrap pressure so it'll give a little more...

Anyhow - good luck ;) Bleeding hands ain't fun, but....... you should see the blood spatter on a couple of my drum heads :) Every once in a while I'll a finger on a tuning lug or something, and then the party's on!!!! :)

Yeah, it comes off, but it deadens the tissue a bit, too. Actually, since I cut the tops off the calluses, they're bugging me less. Methinks that the way the tissue was arranged it was pushing into the spots that are sore. Performing the minor surgery gave it a little wiggle room. :)

God... I remember wacking my hands on the drums back when I "played." Never drew blood, but it made me curse a lot. Funny, though... I purposely hit solid things with my fists... go figure. ;)

I've been there many times. ;)

Show off. :P

Superglue also works pretty well.

Huh... whaddaya know: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate

Cullen,

If you're shooting a stock STI grip, there are several things you can do. The switch from side grip panel to front strap is a rough one.

The first thing you can do is send your grip off to somebody and have it contoured, alot are now offering it cut to your hand if you send a trace outline of it with the grip. The other is try wraping the front strap with masking tape. I tried did this at Camp Shootout last year when I was shooting a stock grip. You'll want about an inch or so of tape on the side panels of the grip to keep it in place.

My grip actually has most of the checkering sanded off and then EricW's TruGrip applied. This seems to work best for me with all the stuff I've tried. I guess I just need to cowboy up and get those calluses REAL thick. :D

Superglue also works pretty well.

Huh... whaddaya know: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate

Yeah, when I heard that I was in the same situation as you are now. I had just switched from a smooth narrow trigger to a serrated wide one and my trigger finger hurt like hell after a day. So, I just glued it . Worked like a charm :)