Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loading Mini Mr. Bulletfeeder

How do you guys load the magazines? What's the best technique? Does it in reality make it less effort consuming, compared to manual bullet feeding?

I have the big Mr. Bulletfeeders, and love them, of course, but considering the Mini for one of my secondary presses. However, I am not sure it really saves you time.

Does it?

The gain in speed one gets with a bullet feeder comes from the collator as far as that goes same can be said for case feed too.

Without a collator you are still picking up each one by hand, an placing it with correct orientation into something.

Edited by jmorris

Oh, I understand all that, nothing will beat the real Mr. BF, but I see some people say they love their Minis, so I am curious.

I have the big Mr's on my main presses, but I have a couple of auxillaries, where I load small volumes. Intuitively I am disinclined, but somewhat curious how they feel.

I typically only load in batches of 100 or 200. I have 2 Mini's magazines and I try to keep them topped off. I really don't count the time it takes to fill them, because I muti-task and fill them while watching TV. We have 2 or 3 shows a week that we watch as a family. My wife and daughter are very used to me filling the MBF mags or my primer tubes. Then, when I have a spare 15 or 20 min., I'll churn out a batch and set it up on the end table for case gaging.....while watching TV. I really don't watch that much TV :D

I typically only load in batches of 100 or 200. I have 2 Mini's magazines and I try to keep them topped off. I really don't count the time it takes to fill them, because I muti-task and fill them while watching TV. We have 2 or 3 shows a week that we watch as a family. My wife and daughter are very used to me filling the MBF mags or my primer tubes. Then, when I have a spare 15 or 20 min., I'll churn out a batch and set it up on the end table for case gaging.....while watching TV. I really don't watch that much TV :D

So you just drop the bullets in one at a time?

BTW - you might think about doing that in the family room, as the bullets usually have lead dust on them. Ditto for the loaded ammo. I never bring them, or ammo, into the living quarters. And we don't have any kids in the house... with them it would be a double-no.

So you just drop the bullets in one at a time?

BTW - you might think about doing that in the family room, as the bullets usually have lead dust on them.

Without a collator he has no other choice but to drop them by hand. Also plating and or coating wouldn't stick to bullets very well if they are "dusty" lead or not.

I use a similar set up, using homemade drop dies, and a Lee magazine. There is no way in hell I am dropping them in a tube one at a time.

I throw a handful of bullets on my sorting block, and then I push them one way or the other.

SortingBlock.jpg

Ok, everybody get in line.

SortingBlock2.jpg

HM45wLeeMag.jpg

But I prefer the single column. But the sorting block works for both.

AllBulletDrops.jpg

Yep, drop them in by hand. I've gotten quite good at it. Usually I can grab 3 at a time and drop them in without looking what I'm doing. Have loaded 7-8k without putting one in up side down.

Had my lead level checked last fall and it was 16. I really upped my hy-gene, plus switched to wet tumbling to get rid of dust. Just checked again last week and it's now 2 :D

I use a similar set up, using homemade drop dies, and a Lee magazine. There is no way in hell I am dropping them in a tube one at a time.

I throw a handful of bullets on my sorting block, and then I push them one way or the other.

AllBulletDrops.jpg

What are the bullet drop dies in that picture? I too was kind of leaning in that direction, since I have many 650 tool heads. I presume you made those bushings?

Yep, drop them in by hand. I've gotten quite good at it. Usually I can grab 3 at a time and drop them in without looking what I'm doing. Have loaded 7-8k without putting one in up side down.

Had my lead level checked last fall and it was 16. I really upped my hy-gene, plus switched to wet tumbling to get rid of dust. Just checked again last week and it's now 2 :D

Lead of 2 is superb, I am still unable to get below 10, but I dry tumble... albeit, under the exhaust hood. Thank you for your advice!

AllBulletDrops.jpg

What are the bullet drop dies in that picture? I too was kind of leaning in that direction, since I have many 650 tool heads. I presume you made those bushings?

Those drop dies are “homemade”. Most were made before I learned of Mr. Bulletfeeder drop dies. But that is another story.

The cheapest way to go would be to buy a Mr. Bulletfeeder drop die, and a Lee magazine. I don’t know if the Lee magazine can be married to the Mr. Bulletfeeder die without some type of adapter.

Before the Lee magazine, I bought some clear plastic tubes off ebay, and made couplings for my dies. Then I bought the Lee magazine. The bottom of the Lee magazine takes a 9/16” sleeve, I don’t know what the diameter of the Mr. BF sleeve is. You would have to explore that.

Fortunately, the Hornady bullet feeder die is available for 1/4 of the cost of the Mr. Bulletfeeder one ($24 versus $94). Given my rather modest need in that application, I just might go for it with a plastic tube. I actually had that setup before I moved to the full-blown Mr. Bulletfeeders on my 1050's.

Good looking work Ron, looks like your handy enough you could build your own collator too. I built most of mine from 6" PVC and 1/2" thick plastic sheet.

feeder1.jpg

DSC01537.jpg

Didn't have a CNC mill back then so I made some simple fixtures for the slot spacing.

DSC01472.jpg

I use mini mrbulletfeeder with 105gr lswc bullets for target loads in 38spl, it seats the bullet 100% correct each time, and I can load the tubes with gloves not handleing lead, and its superfast to load.
I fill the tubes on front of tv, I add some oneshot in the tubes and dropper every now and then, and I freeze the bullets so grease is hard and oesnt stick to much.

JMorris,

I have seen some of your stuff, and I am very impressed. You do good work.

I bought the Entirely Crimson Bullet feeder. It was made for the 650, and it took a while to adapt it to my 1050, but I got it done. It is still very finicky. It is not nearly as well made as the Mr.BF, but it will do. I still like just the vertical tubes, as I never get an upside down bullet and can concentrate on everything else, and it never jams.

Foxbat:

I first bought the Hornaday die. I didn’t like it. I adapted it to the Lee Magazine, by making an adapter/coupler. Then I found that it was too tall for my 1050, so I shortened it by making a new sleeve. I still didn’t like it. I then perfected the homemade drop dies, and no longer use the Hornaday.

It is in 45 caliber, if you want it, I can send it to you to try. If you like it, send me the money you would have paid for a new one, or you can send it back to me. I think you should go straight for the Mr.BF die.HornadayDieMod.jpg

ronofvirginia@cox.net

Edited by RonofVa

Sounds great, I will send you my address in PM!

I also figured out the way to load the tubes - I can simply use one of my two Mr.BF's - simply move the spiral hose to the tube, fill it up, then move it back to its own position. Sounds simple enough, and will take very little time! :)

Should work great, considering that most of my shooting is using the same bullet.

Rick sez...

Since you already have a collator available, why not just disconnect the output tube assembly from dropper and make a little adapter that will allow you fill up the magazine tubes? The collator output rate will fill the tubes faster than you can fill them by hand.

Rick sez...

Since you already have a collator available, why not just disconnect the output tube assembly from dropper and make a little adapter that will allow you fill up the magazine tubes? The collator output rate will fill the tubes faster than you can fill them by hand.

Yep... that's exactly what I proposed in a post above. :)

I am thinking at that point I would just connect it directly to the bullet feeder and cut out the middle man.

I would have done that in a second, except that particular press is my auxillary "Small Primer" 650, on which I load odds and ends, like .380, some 9mm, .40 and even .45Gap. So that would mean one Mr. BF, plus 3 or 4 caliber changes, plus 3 or 4 drop dies - all told, about $1400, give or take. The second auxillary "Large Primer" 650 handles the .45, 10mm, etc. But both do moderate amount of all those calibers.

Edited by Foxbat