Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light strike problem

mont1120

Quick history, this is an XDM 4,5, in 40 cal which is now fitted with a Storm Lake 9MM barrel for 3 gun. I replaced the old trigger with a new PRP system from Brownells, and what a wonderful trigger PRP makes. Makes the gun that much better.

My problem now is light primer strikes. I am sure I must have done something wrong on the install, but can't figure out what the problem is.

1. It is not high primers, I checked that very close.

2. Not the ammo because I have tried six different loads with three different primer types, all fail.

3. The gun worked fine before I put the trigger in.

4. OAL does not matter.

5. The firing pin channel is very clean, no build up of powder or gunk.

This happens about every fourth round. You can visually see the firing pin strike is not deep enough. I can load the same unfired round back into the gun and it goes off.

Do I need a lighter spring system?

I am suspecting I have done something wrong when I installed the new trigger system, any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar issue and bought the xd spring kit from wolff. That kit comes with a new striker spring and 3 different weighted recoil springs. I put in the stronger striker spring and the 16lb recoil and haven't had any issues since.

You guys were right. I put in the Wolff 14 lb spring set and off the ol girl ran like a top. And since it is 18 degrees outside when I tested it, I know it runs in the cold. Thanks to everyone for the help.