Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lubricating the 550b

I'd highly recommend this video. It recommends 30 weight motor oil. I've got partially used quarts of motor oil all over the place in my garage, finally getting a chance to use the left overs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJuMsTIKsaU

I used it last weekend, excellent video and well thought out.

stripped.JPG

Edited by safeactionjackson

Did it two weekends ago (hence the photo), and used a similar non-dillon video to clean lube my s1050 this weekend.

IMG_0308.JPG

It's not difficult just take your time, I have a laptop in my reloading room so I just started the video and paused it at each step.

Although my photo doesn't show it, the 550b was removed from its stand. In the video they keep the press mounted to the stand, and remove the bolts that hold the stand to the bench. Probably easier than removing the press from the stand (lesson learned).

~g

• 1 month later...

Don't use fireclean to lube the shaft. After having a bad experience using it on a shotgun where it froze the firing pin, I threw it in the junk box. Figured I'd keep it since it cost $9 for the little bottle. I cleaned my 550 shaft one day and decided I would use up the fireclean to lubricate. I let the press sit for a week and when I went to use it something did not feel right. There was a drag as the shaft went up and down that you could hear and feel it in the handle. I had to use a degreaser to get the fireclean off the shaft and relube with motor oil. The fireclean has since been filed in the round receptacle.