Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Belts For Ladies

iainmcphersn

I got my wife to visit the Alabama Section Limited match this past Saturday. I've been trying to increase her interest in the shooting sports. We stuck around for about 45 minutes or so chatting and watching. Would have stayed longer but the weather was not as pleasant as we would have wanted. (It was not too bad, but we were dressed to see a play, not to play. :wub: )

She's a competitive sort so this was a good way to get her interested. As we were discussing things afterward, she mentioned that she would probably need a contoured belt as her form does not lend well to a man's flat belt. I have searched through the posts here and looked through several manufacturer's sites with little luck. The closest thing I could find was a Sally Browne duty belt which had the right contour but did not look as though it would make a good competition belt.

So what are the ladies using?

Any input would be appreciated.

John Ellis

I literally have been using the same belt system for about 7 years. I have a velcro under belt with a leather overbelt...Mine is Bianchi but I'm guessing you'll need to look at Safariland. Judging by Bianchi's website, they don't have any competition gear anymore. It's going to be more important to find a holster that fits her form. Once you find the holster, get a matching belt. Again, I like the Bianchi hemosphere because you can rotate it to any angle and make it sit lower. Probably can get a good price on a used one. When first starting out, I can't tell you how many holsters I tried that had me drawing straight up into my armpit. I have a short torso and that sort of draw is not condusive to speed.

What division will she be shooting? Production belts have to be at the waist. Limited can wear the belt 2" lower so it's on the hips. Even with production, you can fudge some by wearing low rise pants so the loops are closer to the hips.

What division will she be shooting?  Production belts have to be at the waist.  Limited can wear the belt 2" lower so it's on the hips.  Even with production, you can fudge some by wearing low rise pants so the loops are closer to the hips.

I suspect if I get her into it, she will be shooting Limited, although she could shoot Production. I'm shooting Limited at the moment for the fact that I hate to download my Glock mags. Otherwise, my G19 and cheap Fobus gear works for Production. Since we're kid poor (3,4, and 8), she is likely to start shooting my G17. Getting her comfortable is the big hump to get over. Once she's played with it a while and decides to stick with it, she'll tell me what she wants. :mellow: I just hope I can afford it.

Thanks,

John

PS: Read your bad kharma post. Had Beverly read it too. She's a computer teacher at an elementary school and a chocoholic so she related very well.

Just ordered my wife a Comp-Tac locking paddle. The paddle for women are not listed on their web site. It is called a Diva. It has a slight drop and offset to better fit women. It is also IDPA legal for women if you shoot that "other" game. She might really enjoy the chainmail pattern as it is distinctive. Something to consider.

I was the queen of shooting on the cheap when I started out....However, I was divorce poor! Glock was what I started out with too (well, I did a brief stint as a sister of the single stack) because there wasn't a lot of smithing fees to get it race ready . I have a helwig holster for a glock around here someplace that is length/cant adjustable. I used it for about 6 months till I picked up another holster off a prize table. Send me a PM with your address and your wife can have it. If it doesn't suite her, pass it along to another shooter or better still, sell it and use the money towards other gear.

I'd really question the need for a contour belt. Wear a straight belt for any real amount of time, then take it off and examine it. Sonuvagun, it's contoured itself!  :D

Ditto that Duane. My preference out of all of the belts I've tried over many years (Ernie Hill, Safariland, Bianchi and CR Speed) is definitely CR Speed.

I'll advise you to try and find an older style CR Speed belt if that is what you choose. They re-designed their inner belt (not sure when, but I think sometime last year), made it slightly thicker and wrapped the sides of the belt around it a bit more (think of two extra hem lines/humps on the side of the belt facing toward you). Between the two belts, the platform was so stiff and unyielding that it hurt my hips after wearing it for about 2-3 minutes, and I'm a guy!