Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New and exciting problem (Apeiro)

matts2k

I have an STI Apeiro that I love to shoot USPSA with. Last week I was out at the range practicing, put a loaded mag in, closed the slide, pulled the trigger, and click nothing happened. Tap, rack, click...nothing happened again. Pulled the hammer back and BANG!

The hammer is not locking back when cocked -- it falls immediately. Made for some exciting trouble-shooting.

Two questions:

1) What happened, what's going wrong? :)

2) I've called STI and left a couple of messages, but no response yet. Anyone have pro-tips for getting ahold of them?

Thanks,

Matt

The hammer on my daughter's Edge started following the slide also and we found a tip of her sear spring had broken off .Not exactly sure if that is what yours was doing

Edited by kellymc

Sear spring almost certainly is the problem. Possibly someone tried to lighten the trigger by bending it and went too far or it's not assembled properly as the guys above suggest. It may have slipped out of the slot at the bottom too. Either way the cure is the same. Take out the msh etc and check it.

Sear spring almost certainly is the problem. Possibly someone tried to lighten the trigger by bending it and went too far or it's not assembled properly as the guys above suggest. It may have slipped out of the slot at the bottom too. Either way the cure is the same. Take out the msh etc and check it.

I'd also check the hammer sear engagement for excessive wear or breakage in addition to the spring as beer baron mentioned. AGI has some good videos you can purchase on troubling shooting problems with your pistol. If you're not comfortable with any of the suggestions, find a good gunsmith or send it back to STI.

Are you the first owner of this pistol?