Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Armscor vs Starline Brass--Any difference in reloadability

wacpa

It appears the Armscor brass used loading 38SC is not as durable as the Starline brass. After shooting the Armscor brass will have a burr on the rim of the case. This happens to perhaps 3% of the fired Armscor brass. This must be removed before it will slip completely into a case guage. The Starline brass does not seem to have this problem. Is this typical?

My experience with Armscor brass has been somewhat like the 3 bears fairy tale, some lots were too soft and the case rims got beat up quickly, some lots were too hard and cases cracked after 2 loadings, and some lots were just right and lasted 6 or more loadings until I lost them as practice brass.

After the second loading or so, I had a couple per hundred split the middle. The rims were fine but it seems like the walls were not very uniform. I think I shot them about 4-5 times and shot them in a lost brass match.

Starline is the way to go.

Can the price difference justify?

I checked every case for the split. Find one, pull the bullet, waste a primer. Just not worth the hassle.

If you're retired and have nothing else to do, then it might be worth it.

In my 550B I usually detect split cases in the resizing station. If I feel a bit lighter push-down effort on the lever than usual, its a cracked case. I remove it before pushing up for priming then rotate the shell holder forward so not to double charge the already charged case then insert another case for resizing/priming and continue the normal reloading sequence. So theres virtually no waste in time and effort. But its just me.

How about the deformities in the rim, if it jams me in matches then its not worth any cost. In my neck of woods Starline brass costs 50% more than Armscor's. My 2011 38 Super runs reliably on Armscor SC but occasionally misfeeds on 38S so I stick with SC. Quite odd. So far I havent tested Starline due to its cost.